Senior Data Engineer- Remote
With more than 120 operations and approximately 20,000 employees worldwide, Precision Castparts Corp. is the market leader in manufacturing large, complex structural investment castings, airfoil castings, forged components, aerostructures and highly engineered, critical fasteners for aerospace applications. In addition, we are the leading producer of airfoil castings for the industrial gas turbine market. We also manufacture extruded seamless pipe, fittings, and forgings for power generation and oil & gas applications; commercial and military airframe aerostructures; and metal alloys and other materials for the casting and forging industries. With such critical applications, we insist on quality and dependability – not just in the materials and products we make, but in the people we recruit.
PCC is relentless in its dedication to being a high-quality, low-cost and on-time producer; delivering the highest value to its customers while continually pursuing strategic, profitable growth.
In 2016, Berkshire Hathaway, led by Chairman and CEO Warren E. Buffett, acquired Precision Castparts Corp.
The Senior Data Engineer is responsible for expanding and optimizing PCC Metals’ data and data pipeline architecture, as well as optimizing data flow and collection. The ideal candidate is an experienced data pipeline builder and data wrangler who enjoys optimizing data systems and building them from the ground up. The Senior Data Engineer will support our software developers, database architects, data analysts and data scientists on data initiatives and will ensure optimal data delivery architecture is consistent throughout ongoing projects. They must be self-directed and comfortable supporting the data needs of multiple teams, systems, and products.
- Establish and implement enterprise architecture
- Detailed design and build of the Data Marshalling Yard, Enterprise Data Warehouse, and Data Marts from inception through production support.
- Develop and revise enterprise conceptual, logical, and physical data models;
- Create data models that conform to existing standards and conventions;
- Build and operate stable, scalable data pipelines that cleanse, structure and integrate disparate big data sets into a readable and accessible format for end-user facing reports and ad-hoc analyses.
- Develop a quality framework to ensure delivery of high-quality data and analyses to stakeholders
- Implement development best practices, version control and deployment strategies to ensure product quality, agility, and recoverability.
- Solve complex technical problems and mentor/support other technical staff on data modeling and ETL related issues.
- Work with stakeholders in understanding the business requirements and implementing data solutions.
- Interface to data analysts and data scientists to drive product development.
- Highly motivated, independent, attention to detail, big-picture thinker, innovative, communicator
- Strong written and verbal communication skills – ability to effectively collaborate with other Analysts as well as non-data personnel to move projects forward
- Knowledge of basic data modeling principles (star schema, relational databases, etc.)
- Willingness to observe and learn manufacturing processes
- Knowledge of Agile development methodology and concepts.
- Mentoring and developing less-experienced colleagues
Education and Experience
- 7+ years of experience with data warehouse technical architectures, ETL/ ELT, reporting/analytic tools, and scripting.
- Knowledge and expertise with data modelling
- Knowledge of and experience with one or more DBMS, such as SQL Server, Oracle, PostgreSQL, mySQL, etc.
- Experience with Cloud data infrastructure (Azure, AWS, GCP)
- Strong experience with relevant scripting, programming and visualization technologies (Python, R, SAS, SQL, DBT, Spark, Tableau, Power BI, Looker)
- Knowledge of configuration management and version control processes
- Bachelor’s degree or higher in an engineering or technical field such as Computer Science, Physics, Mathematics, Statistics, Engineering or similar or equivalent combination of education and experience.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or status as a protected veteran.