Senior Product Metallurgist
With more than 120 operations and approximately 20,000 employees worldwide, Precision Castparts Corp. is the market leader in manufacturing large, complex structural investment castings, airfoil castings, forged components, aerostructures and highly engineered, critical fasteners for aerospace applications. In addition, we are the leading producer of airfoil castings for the industrial gas turbine market. We also manufacture extruded seamless pipe, fittings, and forgings for power generation and oil & gas applications; commercial and military airframe aerostructures; and metal alloys and other materials for the casting and forging industries. With such critical applications, we insist on quality and dependability – not just in the materials and products we make, but in the people we recruit.
PCC is relentless in its dedication to being a high-quality, low-cost and on-time producer; delivering the highest value to its customers while continually pursuing strategic, profitable growth.
In 2016, Berkshire Hathaway, led by Chairman and CEO Warren E. Buffett, acquired Precision Castparts Corp.
Wyman-Gordon, located in Worcester, MA, provides Isothermal Forgings for military and commercial turbine applications using nickel based and titanium alloys. Full Heat Treating, Machining and Testing on site. This growing, $200 million profit center is part of a highly successful, multi-billion diversified manufacturer. Precision Castparts Corporation (PCC).
Senior Product Metallurgist
Seeking Metallurgist to provide a diversified range of technical services to internal and external customers supporting the attainment of Company, Team, and Division goals. Experience in a lean manufacturing environment strongly preferred. Commitment to following and promoting zero-accident safety culture required. Position is responsible for providing Metallurgical Engineering support required to ensure that product conforms to customer requirements.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Internal/External technical contact for thermomechanical processing operations, primarily forge and heat treat
- Provide technical support for all departments as deemed necessary.
- Provide technical support and disposition of input raw materials for isothermal forge operations.
- Identify, report, and provide technical substantiation for metallurgical deviations with corrective action to disposition affected product. Identify the product within all necessary data/quality systems.
- Develop and maintain operational and technical expertise with Nickel based Superalloy and Titanium product lines.
- Maintain, revise, and develop internal hot working procedures for all product lines.
- Primary technical support in resolving process-related customer complaints.
- Ensuring that the requirements of the Quality Systems Manual are fully incorporated in area of responsibility.
- Provides training and education to operations personnel and customers
- Participate in product/process continuous improvement initiatives. Apply statistical data analysis, six-sigma methodologies, and design of experiments as required to support initiatives.
- Assists in the use of SPC to detect project inefficiencies
- Participate in team-based, cross-functional activities including PFMEA, risk assessments, problem solving activities (8-D, 5-Why, cause/effect diagrams) and process audits
- Collaborate with Product Engineering in the development, evaluation, and standardization of new products/alloys and processing methods.
- Reviews customer inquiries and specifications for new products
- Collaborate with Operations and Maintenance personnel to improve manufacturing processes and standards that enhance safety and product quality.
- Performs all other duties, tasks, and special projects as assigned
EDUCATION AND QUALIFICATIONS:
- Four-year college degree in Metallurgical Engineering, Materials Science, or related field-Associate degree and/or equivalent experience as determined by department management would also be considered
- 4-7 years of experience working in a metallurgical capacity, preferably in a metal manufacturing environment. Must have experience providing support on a production floor.
- Specialized knowledge of metallurgical principles, standards, methods, and practices
- Specialized knowledge of metallurgical and production equipment
- Understanding of the application of statistics and six sigma practices
- Ability to provide mentorship to internal resources as requested within functional area
- Ability to deliver results on-schedule
- Ability to recognize and communicate technical risks
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite (Word, PowerPoint, Excel, Visio)
SPECIAL SKILLS AND PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS:
- Strong technical background
- Organizational and leadership skills
- Good communication skills
- Quality assurance process skills
US Citizenship or Perm Residency is required due to government military contracts.
Wyman Gordon is committed to hiring, promoting and transferring employees without regard to race, religion, color, sexual orientation, genetic information, gender identity, national origin (where a person was born), sex, age, ancestry (ethnic heritage), citizenship, veteran status, marital status, sexual orientation, disability, or any other reason prohibited by law. Decisions as to hiring, promoting or transferring employees should be based solely upon job-related qualifications.
As an equal opportunity employer, Wyman Gordon is committed to a diverse workforce. In order to ensure reasonable accommodation for individuals protected by Section 503 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, the Vietnam Veterans’ Readjustment Act of 1974, and Title I of the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990, applicants that require accommodation in the job application process may contact 508-839-8004 for assistance.
Relocation is authorized for this position.
This requisition is closed to applications.