Heat Treat Group Lead
With more than 150 operations and about 22,000 employees worldwide, Precision Castparts Corp. is the market leader in manufacturing large, complex structural investment castings, airfoil castings, forged components, aerostructures and highly engineered, critical fasteners for aerospace applications. In addition, we are the leading producer of airfoil castings for the industrial gas turbine market. We also manufacture extruded seamless pipe, fittings, forgings, and clad products for power generation and oil & gas applications; commercial and military airframe aerostructures; and metal alloys and other materials for the casting and forging industries. With such critical applications, we insist on quality and dependability – not just in the materials and products we make, but in the people we recruit.
Headquartered in Portland, Oregon, this over 10 billion dollar company employs more than 29,500 people worldwide. PCC has over 160 plants and has a presence in twenty-six states in the US and in over a dozen countries. PCC is relentless in its dedication to being a high-quality, low-cost and on-time producer; delivering the highest value to its customers and shareholders while continually pursuing strategic, profitable growth.
Effective early February 2016, Berkshire Hathaway, led by chairman and CEO Warren E. Buffett, acquired Precision Castparts Corp.
PCC Fasteners products' manufacturing operations are spread over four continents, forming a network of industry-leading companies, which enables our customers to utilize our experience and deep product knowledge wherever they need it. Embedded in a culture of continuous improvement, our assets and industry leadership insure that we will consistently deliver our customers the best value in the markets we serve.
SPS Technologies has been developing and manufacturing critical fasteners since the early days of aviation, working closely with its customers to meet the needs of an ever-changing industry.
Many of the materials, designs, and manufacturing practices that have become industry standards were pioneered by SPS Technologies. SPS Technologies continues to advance the materials, designs, and manufacturing practices of aerospace fasteners today to meet the unique needs of next generation vehicles and assembly techniques.
• Establish daily work plans based on incomplete work from the previous shift, hot list priorities, quality problems exposed on previous shifts, and available work in the department.
• Review requirements to cover machines, identify manpower requirements and make operator assignments to maximize man-machine ratios and utilization of automation within the department and throughout the plant.
• Determine methods, temperature, cycle time, quench media, atmosphere, hardness, etc. for special jobs.
• Assure all facilities with a backlog of work are manned 24/7 until backlogs are resolved.
• Review daily spending for your department(s) and identify opportunities for cost reduction.
• Assist area manager in developing cross training plans by identifying facilities that need a cross training focus and schedule operators to insure cross-training plans are being met.
• Assist in the identification and facilitation of 5S activities and ensure gains are sustained.
• Schedule and supervise 5S events and review results with Area Manager.
• Insure everyone is clocked into appropriate cost centers, check all non-productive time so that hours and production quantities are properly recorded.
• Ensure that First/Last Piece Inspections are being completed and that method sheets and lot control cards are completed properly, checking for proper signatures, clock numbers, counts, addition, etc.
• Complete internal Quality Audits, document problems and corrective action.
• Check condition of machines and equipment and obtain necessary repairs or maintenance.
• Maintain action item list showing status of projects and repairs and expected completion time.
• Direct the work of a group of setup and operating personnel.
• Involve the employees in setting daily goals and follow-up at the end of the shift or the beginning of their next shift.
• Instruct, demonstrate, direct, assist and advise employees as to schedules, methods, materials and operations and ensure adherence to proper procedures and methods in the section.
• Promote harmonious employee relations.
• Walk the floor at shift change to facilitate good operator to operator handoff to ensure an effective shift changeover.
• Maintain a daily presence on floor to touch base with employees throughout the shift, check their status and the status of their machines and to minimize unproductive time.
• Review daily performance for your reports utilizing the productivity improvement tracking chart.
• Set productivity targets with employees and counsel/coach employees to reach those goals.
• Challenge and correct unsatisfactory behavior such as employee performance or violation of shop rules or established policy.
• Ensure that operators follow established safety and quality procedures and standards of professional conduct.
• Administer progressive discipline according to established policy.
• Solicit improvement ideas related to procedures, practices, safety, etc from employees and communicate status and results.
2-5 years experience in Heat Treat preferred
1-3 years experience as a Lead preferred
Basic shop mathematics together with the use of complicated drawings, specifications, charts and tables
Adjustable measuring instruments requiring interpretation (e.g. dial indicators, hardness tester, height gages, intra-micrometers, level MAHR gages, micrometers, pitch gages, pressure gages, slab gages, Sunnen gages, vernier gages and calipers)
Flow of work is intermittent waiting for machine or process to complete cycle with intermittent checking
Uses considerable judgement to plan or perform unusual and difficult work when only general methods and procedures are available
- Get facilities and hours changes in engineering - mainly for anneal operations
- Get steel date for jobs that this info is missing.
- Work with MCL to create/locate missing lab sheets
- Group jobs with similar times/temps
- Cut, mount, polish micros to submit to lab for testing (might train lead to conduct some testing)
- Conduct harness checks
- Dump pans in the outgoing area
- Assist with 6s ideas
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or status as a protected veteran.
Full Relocation is authorized for this position.