Senior Mechanical Project Lead Engineer
With more than 150 operations and about 22,000 employees worldwide, Precision Castparts Corp. is the market leader in manufacturing large, complex structural investment castings, airfoil castings, forged components, aerostructures and highly engineered, critical fasteners for aerospace applications. In addition, we are the leading producer of airfoil castings for the industrial gas turbine market. We also manufacture extruded seamless pipe, fittings, forgings, and clad products for power generation and oil & gas applications; commercial and military airframe aerostructures; and metal alloys and other materials for the casting and forging industries. With such critical applications, we insist on quality and dependability – not just in the materials and products we make, but in the people we recruit.
Headquartered in Portland, Oregon, this over 10 billion dollar company employs more than 29,500 people worldwide. PCC has over 160 plants and has a presence in twenty-six states in the US and in over a dozen countries. PCC is relentless in its dedication to being a high-quality, low-cost and on-time producer; delivering the highest value to its customers and shareholders while continually pursuing strategic, profitable growth.
Effective early February 2016, Berkshire Hathaway, led by chairman and CEO Warren E. Buffett, acquired Precision Castparts Corp.
The Special Metals Corporation group of companies was created in the latter part of 1998 when Special Metals Corporation of New Hartford, New York, acquired Inco Alloys International, including its Huntington Alloys and Wiggin Alloys divisions. In 2006, Special Metals Corporation became a part of Precision Castparts Corp., a worldwide manufacturer of complex metal components and products. With a history of alloy technology now going back some 100 years, our company continues to provide solutions to difficult materials problems through such time-tested products as our world-recognized INCONEL, INCOLOY, NIMONIC, UDIMET, MONEL and NILO alloys.
Today's Special Metals is a world leader in the invention, production and supply of the high-nickel, high-performance alloys used for the difficult jobs in engineering. These alloys are highly engineered to offer a superior combination of heat resistance, high-temperature corrosion resistance, toughness and strength and are used in the world's most technically demanding industries and applications. Special Metals offers the largest range of nickel alloys and product forms, as well cobalt alloys, to more than ten worldwide markets. We produce nickel alloys in all standard mill forms, from large ingots and billets to plate, sheet, strip, tubing, bar and wire, the latter of which includes core and filler wires for welding products. The company has manufacturing and research facilities in the USA and Europe, sales offices in North America, Europe and Asia, and a distribution network including most of the industrialized countries of the world.
Special Metals Corporation is the world's premier inventor, developer and producer of nickel alloy and cobalt alloys—with a portfolio of more than 100 alloy compositions, wrought products and welding consumables, over 80 percent of which were invented in our own laboratories. All created to help redefine what's possible in the world of energy and industry.
Our time-tested nickel alloys are highly engineered to offer a superior combination of heat resistance, high temperature and corrosion resistance, toughness and strength for the most demanding applications. No other single manufacturer offers such a comprehensive range of game-changing alloy compositions and product forms.
Special Metals Corporation (HBE) biggest plant is located in Huntington, WV, United States and is part of the Steel Service Centers & Other Metal Wholesalers Industry. Special Metals Corporation (HBE) has 750 total employees across all of its locations.
The functional responsibilities of the Senior Mechanical Project Lead Engineer include project management, operational and plant engineering support. The successful candidate will be an experienced capital project manager and leader having experience and expertise in developing a well thought out project plan, identifying the necessary resources, developing detailed scopes of work, specifications, budgets and schedules with the ability to complete projects on-time, on-budget and on-schedule. He or she will be accustomed to managing multiple projects simultaneously ranging from multiple complex high value projects to lower value plug and play. The individual must be accustomed to a plant environment and doing the necessary engineering field work when devising scope and specification. The individual must have good communications skills providing project updates to all stakeholders including process owners and management. As a project manager, the individual is adept at working with operations and EHS to devise specifications for equipment and process that is inherently safe and manage safe installations with external contractors, third party ECM or equipment vendors. In addition, this role may be required to provide mechanical engineering subject matter expertise in the support of operations at SMC-HBE.
• Adept at developing quality project plans with fully aligned RACI, scope, specification, change management plan, operational readiness and commissioning plans, budget and work break down structure/schedule for all capital projects.
• Responsible for developing specifications and conducting design reviews fully aligned and signed off by appropriate stakeholders.
• Partner with EHS and operations in development of inherently safe equipment.
• Responsible for purchase of equipment, material and labor for installation of approved projects, including preparation of specifications and bid packages and evaluation of equipment bids and evaluation of vendor and contractor capability.
• Partner with procurement to ensure all purchases are made in compliance with company SOX guidelines.
• Responsible for vendor visits and factory acceptance tests at vendor facilities.
• Responsible for project supervision and ensuring contractor safety during installation and startup of approved projects.
• Responsible for coordination of project installation with operating and maintenance departments and outside contractors.
• Responsible for project follow-up including recording of final drawings, as built drawings and manuals, spare part recommendations and documentation, operator/maintenance training, LOTO documentation and project post audit.
• Responsible for assistance to plant maintenance and operations personnel regarding equipment capabilities and day-to-day equipment repairs.
• Responsible for coordination and implementation of specialized inspections for facility equipment.
• Minimum of 10+ years of experience.
• Prior project management experience in a plant or industrial setting
• Prior project management training; PMP a plus
• Experience in steel or aluminum manufacturing: rolling mills, furnaces, straighteners, extruders, etc.
• Experience with plant facility equipment boilers, cooling towers, plant water, air handlers, etc.
• Experienced with use of Microsoft Project
• Strong verbal and written communication skills.
• Excellent problem solving and time management skills.
• Good mechanical aptitude and knowledge.
• Knowledge of electronic equipment and computer hardware and software.
• Self-motivated and highly organized.
• Mentoring and training of Co-ops and less experienced engineers.
• Proficient in 2D CAD modeling; i.e. AutoCAD.
• Project Team Management, i.e. Matrixed
• Technical skills
• Interpersonal skills
• Verbal and Written communication skills
• Confident decision-making ability
• Team working skills