NDT X-Ray Technician
With more than 120 operations and about 20,000 employees worldwide, Precision Castparts Corp. is the market leader in manufacturing large, complex structural investment castings, airfoil castings, forged components, aerostructures and highly engineered, critical fasteners for aerospace applications. In addition, we are the leading producer of airfoil castings for the industrial gas turbine market. We also manufacture extruded seamless pipe, fittings, forgings, and clad products for power generation and oil & gas applications; commercial and military airframe aerostructures; and metal alloys and other materials for the casting and forging industries. With such critical applications, we insist on quality and dependability – not just in the materials and products we make, but in the people we recruit.
Headquartered in Portland, Oregon, this over 10 billion dollar company employs more than 20,000 people worldwide. PCC has over 120 plants and has a presence in twenty-six states in the US and in over a dozen countries. PCC is relentless in its dedication to being a high-quality, low-cost and on-time producer; delivering the highest value to its customers and shareholders while continually pursuing strategic, profitable growth.
Effective early February 2016, Berkshire Hathaway, led by chairman and CEO Warren E. Buffett, acquired Precision Castparts Corp.
PCC Structurals is the world leader in superalloy, aluminum and titanium investment casting. With applications in jet aircraft engines, airframes, industrial gas turbine (IGT) engines, military armaments, medical prosthesis, and many other industrial markets, we provide a wide portfolio of high-quality components, some as large as 100 inches (250cm).
As the original business unit for Precision Castparts, you can count on PCC Structurals’ extensive experience and knowledge to consistently provide high-quality castings, even at significant volumes.
PCC Structurals also provides solidification modeling, in-house rapid prototyping (including SLA), digital radiography, hot isostatic pressing, precision machining and protective coating services. We operate 11 manufacturing facilities in the United States and Europe.
• Follow established housekeeping and safety practices to maintain the quality of the work.
• Demonstrate ability to log on main computer system, extract information, log time, enter inventory amount and forward to next operation.
• Work under general supervision performing X-Ray inspection functions on castings, wax patterns and other articles following established X-ray inspection methods.
• Develop and obtain management and Quality Assurance approval for X-Ray "shooting" sketches and techniques used by other X-Ray personnel.
• Interpret film and certify conformance of castings to customer requirements.
• Help schedule work in X-Ray inspection area and direct work flow.
• Troubleshoot equipment problems and malfunctions and maintain effective maintenance programs for all equipment, operates all equipment as required.
• Interface with engineering and management, and propose corrective action to solve problems.
• Complete all necessary records and develop logs and other records to assure compliance to specifications.
• Demonstrate proper procedures for signing off travelers, filling out department slips, labor vouchers, and any other department documents.
• Report discrepancies to management/supervisor as required based on experience.
• Set up, shoot and develop films.
• Perform daily, weekly, and monthly calibrations to equipment and interprets x-rays.
• Start up all equipment used and shoot daily X-ray calibration shot to ensure proper density and control standards.
• Maintain and check temperature and pressure gauges. • Check traveler to ensure proper completion.
• Mix and maintain developer and fixer solution.
• Set up castings as described on technique sheet.
• Attend classroom training as required.
• Operate X-ray machine, developer, and densitometer after qualification and training.
• Understand SPC and published X-Ray sampling methods. • Follow X-ray techniques and process as required. • Demonstrate ability to recognize and communicate production problems to supervisor.
• Able to maintain average production efficiency with an acceptable rejection rate.
• Able to maintain and demonstrate competence in shooting and processing film after receiving instructions.
• Demonstrate good safety working habits including the wearing of radiation monitoring badges.
• Possess a working knowledge of applicable QCP's, customer and MIL specifications.
• Proficient in using the on-line computer system as required in job and identified in procedures to perform assigned tasks. • Demonstrate the ability to follow X Ray technique cards proficiently.
• Errors must be kept below 5% which require re-shots. • Prepare shooting sketches and techniques and interface with customers when required.
• Check traveler to ensure proper completion. Determine and mark castings for salvage.
• Work with engineering and rework personnel as needed. • Meet the requirements of QCP 8.6, and maintain the requirements and skills of all previous levels for that department, and make and maintain efficiency standards. • Demonstrate leadership ability and set good examples for the rest of the department.
• Demonstrate above average value in the department and maintain above average production.
• Able to make cost analysis for decision making, and exercise good judgment.
• Demonstrate a thorough knowledge of technique preparation. • Capable of preparing specific and practical examinations. • Familiar with all foundry operations.
• Able to distinguish types of casting flaws and describe how they are developed.
• Knowledgeable of all other N.D.T. methods as currently used. • Meet all production and quality standards. Follows set OPC’s and QCP’s.
• Access main computer system to find location of tools.
• Safety Objective: To take responsibility for and demonstrate safe work practices.
Essential Job Functions:
• Adhere to plant and department safety rules.
• Identify and report safety problems.
• Safely operate all equipment and tools.
• Train less skilled personnel as assigned.
• Perform all work as necessary to achieve Plant goals.
Essential Equipment, Vehicles, Tools and/or Machinery used: • A variety of X-Ray Machines, Densitometers, Processors, Readers, etc
• Training is provided on the job and will be documented by Verbal, Written, or Practical Testing.
• Completion of the X-Ray Safety Training Course, including test is required.
• OSHA Training format on Lead (letters, cabinet lining, etc.) is required.
• OSHA Training format on Confined spaces.
• Able to communicate effectively in English, both verbally and in writing, read, follows and interprets instructions on technique cards, code sheets as well as other verbal or written instructions.
• Able to perform basic mathematical calculations.
• Able to use simple to moderately complex measuring devices and fixtures.
• Physical ability to perform the essential job functions.
This requisition is closed to applications.