Wax Quality Inspector
With more than 120 operations and about 20,000 employees worldwide, Precision Castparts Corp. is the market leader in manufacturing large, complex structural investment castings, airfoil castings, forged components, aerostructures and highly engineered, critical fasteners for aerospace applications. In addition, we are the leading producer of airfoil castings for the industrial gas turbine market. We also manufacture extruded seamless pipe, fittings, forgings, and clad products for power generation and oil & gas applications; commercial and military airframe aerostructures; and metal alloys and other materials for the casting and forging industries. With such critical applications, we insist on quality and dependability – not just in the materials and products we make, but in the people we recruit.
Headquartered in Portland, Oregon, this over 10 billion dollar company employs more than 20,000 people worldwide. PCC has over 120 plants and has a presence in twenty-six states in the US and in over a dozen countries. PCC is relentless in its dedication to being a high-quality, low-cost and on-time producer; delivering the highest value to its customers and shareholders while continually pursuing strategic, profitable growth.
Effective early February 2016, Berkshire Hathaway, led by chairman and CEO Warren E. Buffett, acquired Precision Castparts Corp.
PCC Structurals is the world leader in superalloy, aluminum and titanium investment casting. With applications in jet aircraft engines, airframes, industrial gas turbine (IGT) engines, military armaments, medical prosthesis, and many other industrial markets, we provide a wide portfolio of high-quality components, some as large as 100 inches (250cm).
As the original business unit for Precision Castparts, you can count on PCC Structurals’ extensive experience and knowledge to consistently provide high-quality castings, even at significant volumes.
PCC Structurals also provides solidification modeling, in-house rapid prototyping (including SLA), digital radiography, hot isostatic pressing, precision machining and protective coating services. We operate 11 manufacturing facilities in the United States and Europe.
Located in the beautiful city of Portland Oregon, PCC Structurals Wax Center is a fully owned subsidiary of PCC Structurals, Inc. We are a full-service provider of wax and plastic-wax investment casting patterns used in both commercial and military applications. PCC Structurals Wax Center is currently holding ISO 9001:2015 certification.
Our expertise in both wax injection and plastic-injection molding positions us as a key supplier to all PCC facilities in the Oregon Region. We have a vast knowledge and expertise in various areas including dimensional, cleaning, and pattern assembly.
With our quality, expertise, and adaptability along with new innovative technology, we are committed to provide the best products to all our customers. We pride ourselves with providing a safe environment with high levels of quality and details to all of our products.
- Performs inspection on cleaning, wax vanes/struts, and final assemblies. Additional inspection work may be necessary for gates, plastic vanes, and fopat vanes when product is available.
- Conducts visual inspection on products against corresponding process technique card and wax process quality requirements.
- Uses a variety of hand tools to assist in visually inspect.
- Performs Statistical Process Control calculations using pre-established formulas to determine if dimensions are within acceptable ranges or if process is in control.
- Works with Engineers to establish and test inspection techniques.
- Works with Engineers to identify and resolve problems of surface and dimensional defects.
- Works with Engineering to identify repeatable defects from the process for improvement.
- Works with Engineering to develop a repair plan for product that is broke.
- Performs repairs to Wax as needed.
- Enters inspection data into computer database.
- Writes deviation requests as needed.
- Maintains dimensional data collection and integrity according to quality measure.
- Makes corrections to wax setters to ensure proper sizing as needed.
- Work collaboratively in a team environment with a spirit of cooperation and continuous improvement.
- High School Diploma or GED.
- Successful completion of Certified Wax Inspector (CWI) program.
- Working knowledge of dimensional tools and basic dimensional inspection techniques as demonstrated by one year of competently performing Wax Molding or Assembly Inspector.
- An equivalent combination of classroom training and work experience.
- Ability to perform wax dimensional inspection applying proper techniques.
- Ability to read precision hand tools.
- Familiarity with all common dimensional inspection tools including 3D scanning tools, go/no gauges, micrometers, height gauges, calipers and pi tapes is preferred.
- Familiarity with surface plate inspection setups.
- Ability to read, interpret, and follow specifications on Tech Cards, blueprints, and drawings.
- 25/20 correctable vision and satisfactory passage of depth perception and color visions tests.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Strong problem solving and mathematical skills.
- Excellent organization and documentation skills.