Forge Process Engineer Co-op
With more than 120 operations and approximately 20,000 employees worldwide, Precision Castparts Corp. is the market leader in manufacturing large, complex structural investment castings, airfoil castings, forged components, aerostructures and highly engineered, critical fasteners for aerospace applications. In addition, we are the leading producer of airfoil castings for the industrial gas turbine market. We also manufacture extruded seamless pipe, fittings, and forgings for power generation and oil & gas applications; commercial and military airframe aerostructures; and metal alloys and other materials for the casting and forging industries. With such critical applications, we insist on quality and dependability – not just in the materials and products we make, but in the people we recruit.
PCC is relentless in its dedication to being a high-quality, low-cost and on-time producer; delivering the highest value to its customers while continually pursuing strategic, profitable growth.
In 2016, Berkshire Hathaway, led by Chairman and CEO Warren E. Buffett, acquired Precision Castparts Corp.
Wyman Gordon – Houston, TX The Forged Products main division Wyman Gordon is organized around the primary product markets of aerospace and energy; with energy responsible for approximately thirty-three percent of sales for the business segment. Wyman Gordon is the premier forging company for the global aerospace and energy markets. Providing a specialized service, Wyman-Gordon manufactures forged components from high grade titanium and nickel-based alloys. Such components are used for jet engines, including fan disks, compressor disks, turbine disks, and shafts. We also produce titanium and steel forgings for airframes, including wing beams, wing boxes, door and window frames, as well as nacelle and landing gear components. Wyman-Gordon also extrudes steel products for use in power plants and oil and gas industry applications. Our reputation, market position, and operational efficiency are reliant upon our demonstrated ability to continually improve. As part of the Forged Product segment the Energy Group is also the world’s largest and most diversified producer of high-performance nickel-based alloys and a market leader in nickel superalloy and titanium revert management, developing more than 85% of the alloys in the market.
WG is dedicated to developing and promoting employees from within, starting from the Co-op ranks. The company has an opening for a Process Improvement Engineering in its Turbine Forge production area. We are looking for a driven, self-starting, creative, energetic individual who can work on multiple projects to improve manufacturing operations by reducing errors, waste, and product defects as well as design and monitor operating mechanisms to ensure the adequacy and efficiency of production processes. This program is designed to provide opportunities for our Co-ops to demonstrate the same high level of ethics, values, creativity and performance we expect from our employees. Roles will focus in a single area, with several projects and ownership of activities for the individual to learn, develop an action plan and execute on the work. These projects will have a measurable impact on WG business and will be coached and mentored by WG leaders which would prepare Co-ops for a potential opportunity to be considered for a full-time position upon graduation.
Specific Responsibilities Include:
- Performs engineering, maintenance or safety-related work requiring the application of educational study and standard techniques and procedures in manufacturing
- Supervised assignments & projects have clear & specified objectives
- Support cross-functional process improvement projects and business wide improvement initiatives to reduce errors, waste, and product defects.
- Support in Lean initiatives and Kaizen activities.
- Drive Lean Manufacturing action plans to support the success of strategy deployment and strategic business growth.
- Develop methods, processes, and procedures that will improve processes, eliminate failures, and reduce manufacturing costs.
- Review manufacturing activities and provide recommendations to improve safety, quality, productivity, setup times, material flows, and cycle times.
- Coordinates with the representatives of Engineering, Safety, Lean, Supervisors, Quality, and Purchasing, to plan and complete projects as assigned.
- Provide support for process development, tooling, systems and process improvements, and layout
- Maintains and communicates an accurate accounting of project status
- The work output is expected to be consistent with WG’s quality and manufacturing goals and objectives
Must be actively enrolled or pursuing a bachelors or master’s degree in an accredited institution.
Must be able to work at least 5 months on a full or part time basis.
- Must be a U.S. citizen or Green Card holder.
- Prior internship or co-op/internship experience preferred
- Excellent written, oral communication and presentation skills
- Demonstrated leadership experience within campus and/or the community
- Experience with Excel and other MS tools required
Precision Castparts Corp. (PCC), a wholly owned subsidiary of Berkshire Hathaway, Inc., is a leading worldwide, diversified manufacturer of complex metal components and products. It serves the aerospace, power, and general industrial markets. PCC is the market leader in manufacturing large, complex structural investment castings, airfoil castings, and forged components used in jet aircraft engines and industrial gas turbines. The Company is also a leading producer of highly engineered, critical fasteners for aerospace and other general industrial markets, manufactures extruded seamless pipe, fittings, forgings, and clad products for power generation and oil & gas applications, and supplies metal alloys and other materials to the casting and forging industries. PCC is a high-quality business with dominant positions in most segments of the markets in which it serves.
Please note this position is looking for a candidate that can work as soon as possible.