With more than 120 operations and approximately 20,000 employees worldwide, Precision Castparts Corp. is the market leader in manufacturing large, complex structural investment castings, airfoil castings, forged components, aerostructures and highly engineered, critical fasteners for aerospace applications. In addition, we are the leading producer of airfoil castings for the industrial gas turbine market. We also manufacture extruded seamless pipe, fittings, and forgings for power generation and oil & gas applications; commercial and military airframe aerostructures; and metal alloys and other materials for the casting and forging industries. With such critical applications, we insist on quality and dependability – not just in the materials and products we make, but in the people we recruit.
PCC is relentless in its dedication to being a high-quality, low-cost and on-time producer; delivering the highest value to its customers while continually pursuing strategic, profitable growth.
In 2016, Berkshire Hathaway, led by Chairman and CEO Warren E. Buffett, acquired Precision Castparts Corp.
The Production Machinist is responsible for the setup and operation of machine tools, including numerical control and manual lathes and machining centers, to fabricate high-strength super alloys and other metals. They perform a range of duties, including reading blueprints, setting up workpieces, and ensuring adherence to specifications.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
- Reads blueprint or job order for product specifications such as dimensions and tolerances, and tooling instructions such as fixtures, feed rates, cutting speeds, depth of cut, and determines sequence of operations.
- Selects, positions, and secures tool in toolholder (chuck, collect, or tool post)
- Positions and secures workpiece in holding device, machine table, chuck, centers, or fixtures.
- Moves controls to position tool and workplace in relation to each other, and to set specified fees, spends, and depth of cut.
- Sets up fixture or feeding device, starts machine, and turns handwheel to feed tool to workpiece or vice versa, and engages feed.
- Turns valve handle to direct flow of coolant or cutting oil against tool and workpiece.
- Observes operation of machine and verifies conformance of machined workpiece to specifications and records dimensions.
Physical Demands/Required Skills
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand and use hands to finger, handle, or feel objects, tools, or controls.
- The employee is occasionally required to walk and sit.
- The employee must occasionally lift and/or move more than 30 pounds.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, color vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee regularly works near moving mechanical parts and is regularly exposed to fumes or airborne particles and toxic or caustic chemicals.
- The employee is occasionally exposed to the risk of electrical shock. Airborne particles/fumes result from coolant spray and metal removal.
- Working around machinery poses a risk of shock.
- Proper procedures make this risk low.
- The noise level in the work environment is usually loud.
- High school diploma or equivalent is usually required.
- Vocational training, technical courses, or an apprenticeship program in machining, metalworking, or related fields is highly beneficial.
- Relevant work experience operating machine tools, including numerical control and manual lathes, and machining centers.
- Proficiency in reading blueprints, interpreting specifications, and understanding machine instructions.
- Familiarity with setting up, adjusting, and operating various machine tools to produce precision metal parts.
- Experience in handling high-strength alloys and other metals is preferred.
- Knowledge of tooling, feeds, speeds, and machining processes specific to various metals and alloys.
- Skills in performing quality checks, verifying dimensions, and adhering to safety protocols.
- Familiarity with coolant systems, cutting oils, and maintaining a safe and clean work environment.