Design Engineer II
With more than 120 operations and approximately 20,000 employees worldwide, Precision Castparts Corp. is the market leader in manufacturing large, complex structural investment castings, airfoil castings, forged components, aerostructures and highly engineered, critical fasteners for aerospace applications. In addition, we are the leading producer of airfoil castings for the industrial gas turbine market. We also manufacture extruded seamless pipe, fittings, and forgings for power generation and oil & gas applications; commercial and military airframe aerostructures; and metal alloys and other materials for the casting and forging industries. With such critical applications, we insist on quality and dependability – not just in the materials and products we make, but in the people we recruit.
PCC is relentless in its dedication to being a high-quality, low-cost and on-time producer; delivering the highest value to its customers while continually pursuing strategic, profitable growth.
In 2016, Berkshire Hathaway, led by Chairman and CEO Warren E. Buffett, acquired Precision Castparts Corp.
Position summary: The Design Engineer (DE) develops solutions to a wide range of complex technical problems, requiring ingenuity and innovation. The DE is expected to be a principal contributor and/or leader in structural design efforts to include concept generation through final detailed design, substantiating the design through classical analytical techniques. The DE's primary deliverable will be detailed 3D models and 2D blueprints using Computer Aided Design (CAD) tools such as CATIA V5. The DE works in an Integrated Product Team (IPT) environment working with both external and internal customers.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
The following is a list of duties, tasks, work activities and/or functions the Design Engineer will/may be required to perform:
- The Design Engineer is responsible for generating innovative solutions to manufacturing challenges and requirements such as machining and inspection fixtures, material handling, assembly tooling, etc.
- The DE will be responsible to read, assimilate, decompose and track compliance to requirements defining the design (geometry, interfaces, envelope, function, features, stress, materials, processes, environment, etc).
- The DE will be responsible to model, detail, dimension and release detailed blueprints, using CATIA V5 tools, that adhere to company standards and satisfy the customer requirements. Design responsibility will include conceptual design through final released design.
- The DE will be responsible to perform detailed tolerance stacks, basic stress analyses, select materials and define appropriate processes in support of defining and substantiating an end item that meets the customer requirements.
- The Design Engineer (DE) will be responsible to work in an IPT environment including customers, internal team members and suppliers. A DE must be able to work collaboratively and communicate effectively to achieve the program goals.
- The DE will participate in or lead reviews providing status and details of the design. The reviews will include Preliminary Design (PDR), Final Design (FDR/CDR), brainstorming and component level reviews. The DE may be required to formally present reviews to the customer, management, the IPT or peers.
- The DE is expected to work closely with manufacturing engineering in developing processes, technologies or products.
- Must perform other reasonable duties as assigned by supervision.
The following is a list of skills, abilities, training, education, experience, values, interests and /or talent the Design Engineer will be expected to posses and demonstrate:
Preferred a Bachelor of Science (BS) degree in Engineering with a strong curriculum emphasis on structural design, analysis and mechanics of materials is required for the performance of the DE functions. An equivalent number of years of experience performing the essential job functions may be considered.
Two years of work experience in an aerospace structural airframe design environment is preferred but not required for the performance of many DE functions. However, understanding of aerospace design principles, specifications and processes as they apply to structural design is required.
Proficiency in the use of CATIA software is required for the performance of the DE functions.
Proficiency with Geometric Dimensioning and Tolerancing (GDT) and performing tolerance stack calculations is required.
Good understanding of manufacturing techniques including machining, assembly, and CMM inspection is preferred.
The ability to estimate scope/size of a task, manage multiple tasks and work to a schedule is required.
Must possess strong interpersonal and communication skills necessary to effectively interface with all levels of the IPT, including the ability to exchange detailed written and verbal information communicated in English
Training and experience in Design for Six Sigma is considered to be highly advantageous in this role.