Maintenance Mechanic - Aerospace Manufacturing (Redmond, OR)
With more than 120 operations and about 20,000 employees worldwide, Precision Castparts Corp. is the market leader in manufacturing large, complex structural investment castings, airfoil castings, forged components, aerostructures and highly engineered, critical fasteners for aerospace applications. In addition, we are the leading producer of airfoil castings for the industrial gas turbine market. We also manufacture extruded seamless pipe, fittings, forgings, and clad products for power generation and oil & gas applications; commercial and military airframe aerostructures; and metal alloys and other materials for the casting and forging industries. With such critical applications, we insist on quality and dependability – not just in the materials and products we make, but in the people we recruit.
Headquartered in Portland, Oregon, this over 10 billion dollar company employs more than 20,000 people worldwide. PCC has over 120 plants and has a presence in twenty-six states in the US and in over a dozen countries. PCC is relentless in its dedication to being a high-quality, low-cost and on-time producer; delivering the highest value to its customers and shareholders while continually pursuing strategic, profitable growth.
Effective early February 2016, Berkshire Hathaway, led by chairman and CEO Warren E. Buffett, acquired Precision Castparts Corp.
Reports To: Maintenance Manager
Primary Function: Responsible for performing duties of installation, troubleshooting, repairing, and maintaining production and facility equipment according to safety, predictive and productive maintenance systems, and processes to support the achievement of the site’s business goals and objectives.
Principle Duties and Responsibilities:
- Performs duties to install and maintain production machines and Plant equipment.
- Provides emergency/unscheduled repairs of production equipment during production and performs scheduled maintenance repairs of production equipment during machine service.
- Performs mechanic skills including, but not limited to, mechanical, electrical, pneumatic, hydraulic, troubleshooting and repair of production machines.
- Reads and interprets equipment manuals and work orders to perform required maintenance and service.
- Diagnoses problems, replaces or repairs parts, tests and makes adjustments.
- Performs regular preventive maintenance on machines, equipment and Plant facilities.
- Performs some plumbing maintenance.
- Uses a variety of hand, power tools, and material handling equipment in performing duties.
Minimum Job Requirements:
- Must be highly motivated and able to work independently.
- Able to work in a production environment.
- Able to read and comprehend English.
- Able to read and interpret documents, such as safety rules, operating maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals. Able to write routine reports and short correspondence.
- Able to add, subtract, multiply and divide in all units of measures, using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals.
- Able to lift and carry up to 35 lbs. frequently.
- Able to lift and carry up to 10 lbs. continuously.
- Able to communicate effectively with co-workers and vendors.
- Able to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions. Able to interpret an
- extensive variety of technical instructions in mathematical or diagram form and deal with several abstract and concrete variables.
- Able to apply common sense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral or diagram form.
- Complies with company and departmental policies and procedures, including company’s attendance policy.
- Must be able to achieve forklift certification.
- May be required to take hazardous waste training.
- High School Diploma or G.E.D.
- Knowledge of the mechanical maintenance trade which is typically found in two years of working experience as a millwright or related occupation which includes a broad scope of mechanical maintenance responsibilities
- Knowledge of the use and care of power and hand tools and their safe operation; basic knowledge of carpentry techniques to build supports for the repair and overhaul of machinery
- Able to use Microsoft Office applications for data interpretation in charting and graphing of calibrations and uniformity surveys of heat treat processes, writing and correspondence of instructions, documentation, and work techniques
Top Candidates will have the following knowledge and skills:
- Knowledge of the application of plumbing techniques and principles; knowledge of all types of welding techniques and principles including flat position welding; knowledge of the use of vibration analysis techniques, measurements, test equipment and software in troubleshooting and/or maintaining rotating machinery; knowledge of the application of pump/motor overhaul techniques and principles
- Knowledge of using an automated maintenance work order system; knowledge and demonstrated skill in using a computer and associated software
- Knowledge of the application of lubrication principles and techniques
- Demonstrated skill in the use of troubleshooting equipment, machinist measuring techniques and tools and the operation of mills, lathes, and drill press
- Knowledge of packing, bearings, and mechanical seals; knowledge of in reading schematic drawings
Normal Working Conditions
- Works independently on broad general assignments with the responsibility for planning of work. Makes major decisions within broad limitations of policies, referring to superiors when large investment or long-term programs are involved.
- Occasional sitting, driving, climbing, balancing, and crawling required.
- Frequent reaching above shoulder level, reaching below shoulder level, stooping or squatting, and talking required.
- Continuous standing, walking, using hands to handle or feel, hearing, pushing or pulling required.
- Occasional work required in areas with wet or humid conditions-non-weather, in high precarious
- places, toxic or caustic chemicals, outdoor or weather conditions, extreme cold-non weather,
- extreme heat-non weather, risk of electric shock, risk of radiation and vibration.
- Job duties may include limited hazardous waste management including removal of equipment that may contain hazardous residue and transferring hazardous waste containers to the facility’s hazardous waste storage location. Comprehensive hazardous waste training will be required annually for those Maintenance employees engaged in hazardous waste management activities.
- Work in areas with loud noise required. (Appropriate ear protection required.)
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all duties, responsibilities, and skills.
- Troubleshoots and repairs manufacturing machinery, tools, and equipment for vacuum, hydraulic, pneumatic, induction heating, lubrication, abrasive and pressure cleaning systems, and their components.
- Troubleshoots and repairs facility’s operations and physical systems; performs work in compliance with applicable codes.
- Fabricates machinery, tool and equipment components as required to maintain systems.
- Provides technical assistance in design and selection of equipment.
- Adheres to plant and department safety rules; safely operates all equipment and tools; and identifies and reports safety problems, corrects when possible.
- Works with Hazardous material, machinery, pumps, etc.
- Completes logs and records
- Follows written and verbal instructions with a minimum amount of direct supervision.
- Utilizes machinery manuals for assistance with trouble-shooting.
- Job duties may include limited hazardous waste management including removal of equipment that may contain hazardous material residue and transferring hazardous waste containers to the facility’s hazardous waste storage locations. Comprehensive hazardous waste training will be required annually for those millwrights engaged in hazardous waste management activities.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
- Extensive mechanical background.
- Ability to repair all hydraulic, pneumatic, induction heating, lubrication, abrasion, and pressure systems.
- Ability to weld all positions with stick and mig welders.
- Ability to read, interpret, and follow specifications on Tech Cards, blueprints, and drawings.
- Ability to work in difficult working conditions which may include exposure to noise, dust, chemicals, temperature extremes and other elements for extended periods of time.
- Ability to operate machine shop equipment, vertical mill, and lathe.
- Electrical knowledge, fuse checking, and motor removal.
- Knowledge of vacuum technology, pumps, environments, and terminology.
- Knowledge of forklift operation.
- Ability to follow written and verbal instructions, and to work independently.
Incumbent must be able to read technical instructions and write. Lift and/or maneuver objects weighing up to 35 pounds. Ability to stand, walk, kneel, stoop and climb. Ability to communicate, write, use and operate department’s equipment. Ability to work in conditions which may include exposure to noise, dust, chemicals, and varying temperatures.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or status as a protected veteran.
This requisition is closed to applications.