With more than 120 operations and approximately 20,000 employees worldwide, Precision Castparts Corp. is the market leader in manufacturing large, complex structural investment castings, airfoil castings, forged components, aerostructures and highly engineered, critical fasteners for aerospace applications. In addition, we are the leading producer of airfoil castings for the industrial gas turbine market. We also manufacture extruded seamless pipe, fittings, and forgings for power generation and oil & gas applications; commercial and military airframe aerostructures; and metal alloys and other materials for the casting and forging industries. With such critical applications, we insist on quality and dependability – not just in the materials and products we make, but in the people we recruit.
PCC is relentless in its dedication to being a high-quality, low-cost and on-time producer; delivering the highest value to its customers while continually pursuing strategic, profitable growth.
In 2016, Berkshire Hathaway, led by Chairman and CEO Warren E. Buffett, acquired Precision Castparts Corp.
We have an exciting opportunity for a Metallurgist Position at Carlton Forge Works based out of Paramount, CA. Carlton Forge Works is the premier manufacturer of seamless rolled rings as well as open and closed-die forgings for the aerospace, gas turbine, industrial, commercial, and nuclear industries while using one of the most extensive lines of equipment and truly skilled craftsmen anywhere.
The Metallurgist candidate will supervise and plan the metallurgical aspects of the process; conduct analysis to identify and implement continual improvement activities; and represent the Company with our customers, suppliers, and certifying agencies.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS OF THE ROLE:
- Comply with and support PCC Code of Conduct Requirements and Company policies and procedures, as well as Federal, State and Local regulations.
- Comply with and support AS9100, SOX requirements and all PCC Cardinal Rules, including EHS and Quality.
- Ensure product conforms to all customer required metallurgical properties.
- Write manufacturing plans for customer approval, which define required processing parameters.
- Ensure all products shipped meet the requirements of the approved manufacturing plans.
- Define forging temperatures, heat treat process and testing as required by customer specifications.
- Write metallurgical reports for customer approval which summarize product processing and testing.
- Analyze test data and adjust processing parameters as required to ensure continuing conformance to customer requirements.
- Maintain “external” customer relationship for communication of technical issues, resolution of product issues. This includes similar contact concerning technical issues with raw material suppliers.
- Identify and report metallurgical deviations with corrective action to disposition effected product, and identify the product within all necessary data/quality systems.
- Communicate with all levels of management; report any problems affecting product integrity.
- Provide technical metallurgical engineering support to customers and QA department
- Maintain quality improvement and industry standards.
- Conduct metallurgical failure analysis as needed.
- Conduct microstructures evaluation and interpretation of microstructures and Grain size ratings
- Provide materials engineering support to operations and equipment.
- Other duties and responsibilities as assigned.
- BS in Material Sciences with a minimum of three (3) years of relevant experience in a manufacturing operation
- Experience with aerospace forging products preferred.
- Knowledge of standards and specifications: ASTM, ASM, AISI, SAE and MIL.
- Experience working with Quality specification requirements of major aerospace customers
- Strong organizational and problem solving skills
- Attention to detail
- Ability to manage competing priorities
- Ability to collect and analyze metallurgical data
- Good communication skills; verbal and written
- Team Player
- Continuous improvement mindset
Note: This position is subject to the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) which requires U.S. person status. ITAR defines U.S. person as an U.S. Citizen, U.S. Permanent Resident (i.e. 'Green Card Holder'), Political Asylee, or Refugee. Employees must be legally authorized to work in the United States. Verification of employment eligibility will be required at the time of hire. Visa sponsorship is not available for this position.
Relocation is authorized for this position.