Product Engineering Manager - Huntington, WV
The Special Metals Corporation group of companies was created in the latter part of 1998 when Special Metals Corporation of New Hartford, New York, acquired Inco Alloys International, including its Huntington Alloys and Wiggin Alloys divisions. In 2006, Special Metals Corporation became a part of Precision Castparts Corp., a worldwide manufacturer of complex metal components and products. With a history of alloy technology now going back some 100 years, our company continues to provide solutions to difficult materials problems through such time-tested products as our world-recognized INCONEL, INCOLOY, NIMONIC, UDIMET, MONEL and NILO alloys.
Today's Special Metals is a world leader in the invention, production and supply of the high-nickel, high-performance alloys used for the difficult jobs in engineering. These alloys are highly engineered to offer a superior combination of heat resistance, high-temperature corrosion resistance, toughness and strength and are used in the world's most technically demanding industries and applications. Special Metals offers the largest range of nickel alloys and product forms, as well cobalt alloys, to more than ten worldwide markets. We produce nickel alloys in all standard mill forms, from large ingots and billets to plate, sheet, strip, tubing, bar and wire, the latter of which includes core and filler wires for welding products. The company has manufacturing and research facilities in the USA and Europe, sales offices in North America, Europe and Asia, and a distribution network including most of the industrialized countries of the world.
Special Metals Corporation is the world's premier inventor, developer and producer of nickel alloy and cobalt alloys—with a portfolio of more than 100 alloy compositions, wrought products and welding consumables, over 80 percent of which were invented in our own laboratories. All created to help redefine what's possible in the world of energy and industry.
Our time-tested nickel alloys are highly engineered to offer a superior combination of heat resistance, high temperature and corrosion resistance, toughness and strength for the most demanding applications. No other single manufacturer offers such a comprehensive range of game-changing alloy compositions and product forms.
With more than 120 operations and approximately 20,000 employees worldwide, Precision Castparts Corp. is the market leader in manufacturing large, complex structural investment castings, airfoil castings, forged components, aerostructures and highly engineered, critical fasteners for aerospace applications. In addition, we are the leading producer of airfoil castings for the industrial gas turbine market. We also manufacture extruded seamless pipe, fittings, and forgings for power generation and oil & gas applications; commercial and military airframe aerostructures; and metal alloys and other materials for the casting and forging industries. With such critical applications, we insist on quality and dependability – not just in the materials and products we make, but in the people we recruit.
PCC is relentless in its dedication to being a high-quality, low-cost and on-time producer; delivering the highest value to its customers while continually pursuing strategic, profitable growth.
In 2016, Berkshire Hathaway, led by Chairman and CEO Warren E. Buffett, acquired Precision Castparts Corp.
Act as Technical Authority for a plant or facility. Integrate all Product Manufacturing Engineering activity through the manufacturing process. Lead, manage and develop the Product Engineering community within the facility. Professionally accountable to the Director of Quality & Yield.
• Technical Authority for the facility, accountable for the Method of Manufacturing and compliance to Specifications.
• Ensure manufacturing processes and/or methods of manufacture within the facility are capable of meeting and continuing to meet requirements for quality, cost, and delivery rate and lead time.
• Control manufacturing process change within the facility, while driving continuous improvement.
• Provide technical input into the facility strategy, including ensuring that Materials and Manufacturing Process strategy implications are included in capital plans.
• Develop numerate, real time methods for capturing process capability, and ensure it is available and acted on within the plant.
• Working with the Product Circuit Leaders and Manufacturing Process Owners, drive manufacturing processes used within the facility towards identified consistent best practice.
• Lead technical problem resolution and technical improvement activities within the facility. Coach the community in the use of PCC tools (Lean/Six Sigma).
• Lead the Product Engineering community within the facility, including flow down of Prod Eng. Mgr. business processes and audit of compliance with those processes.
• Other tasks as appropriate and as assigned by management
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
• Degreed Engineer, Mechanical or Materials Science preferred. 10+ years’ experience in Primary Metals/Manufacturing.
• 5+ years’ experience in a Managerial role over a technical staff. Strong Interpersonal and Communications Skills required. Successful candidate will show job progression with increased levels of responsibility throughout his/her career. .
• Good understanding of manufacturing processes relevant to the Primary Metals Industry. Experience with Hot work, Anneal, Heat Treat, Extruding is a plus.
• General awareness of Manufacturing Systems (Oracle, Minitab, Microsoft Office Suites, etc.) relevant to the business.
• Ability to led projects/activities across a range of Manufacturing Engineering processes.
• Experience in manufacturing changes in a suitable combination of ways, such as facility re-design, facility move, technology insertion, new product introduction, process revalidation, quality improvement.
• Ability to provide technical and professional leadership to a team of Engineers.
• Six Sigma Certification.
• Lots of initiative
• Great organizational skills
• Confident decision-making ability
• Problem solving skills
• Interpersonal skills
• The Company retains the right to change or assign other duties to this position.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS – THE PHYSICAL DEMANDS DESCRIBED HERE ARE REPRESENTATIVE OF THOSE THAT MUST BE MET BY AN EMPLOYEE TO SUCCESSFULLY PERFORM THE ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS OF THIS JOB. REASONABLE ACCOMMODATIONS MAY BE MADE TO ENABLE INDIVIDUALS WITH DISABILITIES TO PERFORM THE ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS.
Frequently moves about the production facilities. Must be able to detect unsafe conditions from long distances.
WORK ENVIRONMENT – THE WORK ENVIRONMENT CHARACTERISTICS DESCRIBED HERE ARE REPRESENTATIVE OF THOSE AN EMPLOYEE ENCOUNTERS WHILE PERFORMING THE ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS OF THIS JOB. REASONABLE ACCOMMODATIONS MAY BE MADE TO ENABLE INDIVIDUALS WITH DISABILITIES TO PERFORM THE ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS.
The physical environment requires the employee to work both inside and outside in heat/cold, wet/humid and dry/arid conditions. Frequently required the use of personal protective equipment to prevent exposure to hazardous materials.
(This position is eligible for a referral bonus per the PCC Metals Group Referral Bonus Program)
Relocation is authorized for this position.