Operations Supervisor (Manufacturing) - SLC
With more than 120 operations and approximately 20,000 employees worldwide, Precision Castparts Corp. is the market leader in manufacturing large, complex structural investment castings, airfoil castings, forged components, aerostructures and highly engineered, critical fasteners for aerospace applications. In addition, we are the leading producer of airfoil castings for the industrial gas turbine market. We also manufacture extruded seamless pipe, fittings, and forgings for power generation and oil & gas applications; commercial and military airframe aerostructures; and metal alloys and other materials for the casting and forging industries. With such critical applications, we insist on quality and dependability – not just in the materials and products we make, but in the people we recruit.
PCC is relentless in its dedication to being a high-quality, low-cost and on-time producer; delivering the highest value to its customers while continually pursuing strategic, profitable growth.
In 2016, Berkshire Hathaway, led by Chairman and CEO Warren E. Buffett, acquired Precision Castparts Corp.
Headquartered in Irvine, CA, Shur-Lok manufactures fastening systems with superior locking devices for critical requirements including engine module assembly, structural assembly, rotor blade attachment, and aircraft engine shaft and spindle applications. Operations at the Irvine location include CNC Machining, CNC Waterjet Cutting, Laser Marking, Heat Treating, NDT, and EDM.
The Manufacturing Supervisor provides leadership and supervises direct employees involved in the manufacturing of Shur-Lok products. Manages assigned company resources (personnel, equipment and materials) to achieve work schedules and satisfy customer requirements in an efficient and cost effective manner. May occasionally operate production equipment or perform hands-on production tasks, not to exceed 20 % of the workday (such activities must be cleared in advance by the Manufacturing Manager).
Primary Duties & Responsibilities:
- Complies with and enforces all company safety rules and regulations. These include the use of company-provided personal protective equipment/supplies (i.e., safety glasses, hearing protection, safety shoes); maintaining a clean work area; operating equipment and using tools in a safe manner; correcting unsafe conditions or practices
- Effectively leads a team of employees and manages performance to set expectations. Tasks for effective performance management include interviewing, hiring, and training employees; planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints and resolving problems
- Update Daily Management board and communicate status of Dispatch list, RYG report, weekly shipment plan, Flex performance and projections during daily walk thru with management. Escalate any issues/concerns needing management support during this walk thru
- Schedule jobs to maximize machine and operator efficiencies and report capacity constraints to production control
- Achieve daily metrics including ESH, productivity, scrap, dock, sales and other significant measures
- Use the daily Flex tool to monitor and manage key metrics especially variable spending. Each supervisor must understand spending details on a daily basis
- Maintain proper staffing levels to achieve budgeted levels of performance
- Use the Productivity Pipeline form to update and manage cost reduction projects and report status on a weekly basis
- Analyze processes to improve efficiency (includes purchase of new capital equipment, planning arrangement of equipment, use of cost effective production techniques) and achieve cost reduction expectations
- Implement lean manufacturing methods (6S, flow, visual organization, etc.)
- Ensure that manufacturing documentation procedures and protocol are followed at all times
- Monitor scrap, yield and part efficiencies on existing programs to ensure achievement of budget
- Holds weekly employee communication meetings and ensures their team has an understanding of the status and future of the business
- Ensure machinery is at optimum repair by implementing preventative maintenance programs, assigning repair tasks and maintaining spare parts
- Obtain tooling, gages and other supplies needed for production prior to release of the router to machines. Implement set-up time reduction methods
- Train personnel in production tasks, safety requirements, teamwork and lean manufacturing principles
- Check quality and quantities of product runs, SPC charts, first article charts, accuracy of routers
- Resolve technical and administrative problems
- Other tasks as assigned
Required Skills and Experience:
- 1 – 5 years of technical experience in a fast paced manufacturing setting is highly preferred
- Demonstrated leadership abilities
- Working knowledge of ERP software, AS400/Mapcis preferred, but not required
- Ability to work with mathematical concepts such as probability and statistical inference, and fundamentals of plane and solid geometry and trigonometry. Ability to apply concepts such as fractions, percentages, ratios, and proportions to practical situations
- Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists. Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form. Ability to work under deadline pressure.
- Ability to concentrate on specific objectives, while managing multiple priorities, people and functions
- Bachelor's degree in Engineering, Manufacturing Technology or a related discipline from four-year college or university highly preferred
Relocation is authorized for this position.
This requisition is closed to applications.