Material Process Engineer
With more than 120 operations and approximately 20,000 employees worldwide, Precision Castparts Corp. is the market leader in manufacturing large, complex structural investment castings, airfoil castings, forged components, aerostructures and highly engineered, critical fasteners for aerospace applications. In addition, we are the leading producer of airfoil castings for the industrial gas turbine market. We also manufacture extruded seamless pipe, fittings, and forgings for power generation and oil & gas applications; commercial and military airframe aerostructures; and metal alloys and other materials for the casting and forging industries. With such critical applications, we insist on quality and dependability – not just in the materials and products we make, but in the people we recruit.
PCC is relentless in its dedication to being a high-quality, low-cost and on-time producer; delivering the highest value to its customers while continually pursuing strategic, profitable growth.
In 2016, Berkshire Hathaway, led by Chairman and CEO Warren E. Buffett, acquired Precision Castparts Corp.
The Material Process Engineer position is responsible for engineering activities to develop processes, define controls, and institute effective variability reduction efforts in material sourcing and processing areas.
- Formulate blend tickets for mixing available raw constituents into a blended material that meets customer or internal specifications.
- Initiate and interface with all levels of manufacturing, management, suppliers and customers.
- Review lab test results on incoming material to ensure results are within spec and react/retest for abnormal readings.
- Supply data to customer and obtain documented approval for temporary acceptance of deviant material.
- Provide hands-on, floor level investigations and problem solving.
- Perform daily audits to ensure procedures are being followed on the manufacturing floor.
- Develop processes, define controls, and institute effective variability reduction efforts in material processing areas.
- Update/revise area procedures to ensure clarity and reduce the opportunity for process variation.
- Perform data analysis to identify and control process excursions.
- Continuously evaluate/improve processes in order to maintain or improve upon budgeted yields and reduce scrap.
- Perform engineering trials to evaluate improvements to processes, tools, and equipment.
- Participates in cost reduction, continuous improvement and new part introduction (NPI) teams, as needed.
- Lead activities to purchase, install and obtain customer approval for the use of new equipment.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Proven analytical, problem solving, and process improvement ability.
- Demonstrated ability to develop & execute action plans that will deliver results.
- Working knowledge of a Zero Defect Program: PFMEA, Control Plan, Process control.
- Demonstrated ability to manage multiple tasks and priorities and easily adapt to changing situations and priorities.
- The ability to handle high stress associated with high activity with tight deadlines.
- Excellent written and verbal communication and organizational skills.
- Strong interpersonal and leadership skills.
- Highly organized, self-motivated individual who can work independently as well as work effectively in a collaborative team environment.
- Demonstrated ability to lead programs / projects.
- Six sigma Certification preferred.
- Familiarity with Minitab software.
- Proven experience in Manufacturing Industry.
Experience & Education
- Bachelor’s degree in Ceramics, Materials, Chemical, Metallurgical or other related Engineering discipline.
- 3-5 years’ experience preferred.
- Hands-on experience in the airfoils investment casting industry a plus.