Wax Process Control Engineer-SSBO (Portland, OR)
With more than 120 operations and approximately 20,000 employees worldwide, Precision Castparts Corp. is the market leader in manufacturing large, complex structural investment castings, airfoil castings, forged components, aerostructures and highly engineered, critical fasteners for aerospace applications. In addition, we are the leading producer of airfoil castings for the industrial gas turbine market. We also manufacture extruded seamless pipe, fittings, and forgings for power generation and oil & gas applications; commercial and military airframe aerostructures; and metal alloys and other materials for the casting and forging industries. With such critical applications, we insist on quality and dependability – not just in the materials and products we make, but in the people we recruit.
PCC is relentless in its dedication to being a high-quality, low-cost and on-time producer; delivering the highest value to its customers while continually pursuing strategic, profitable growth.
In 2016, Berkshire Hathaway, led by Chairman and CEO Warren E. Buffett, acquired Precision Castparts Corp.
This position commonly reports to the Engineering Program Manager and may perform one or more of the following engineering functions: Part Engineering, Dimensional Engineering, Quality Engineering, Process Engineering, Manufacturing Engineering, or NDT Level III.
Incumbent provides expert judgment and analysis for the design, development and implementation of products, processes, plans and procedures. Designs methods to improve efficiency in production, reduce process variability and assure compliance with approved 0methods and quality standards exercising discretion and independent judgment in the evaluation of possible courses of conduct and acting or making decisions after the various possibilities have been considered.
Based on their independent judgment and within the scope of their engineering expertise, incumbent is vested with the authority to stop the manufacturing process.
Effective decisions will typically result in successful part programs and considerable financial benefit to the company.
May supervise other engineers and/or technicians on an ongoing basis or as needed for the term of assigned projects.
Essential Job Functions:
- Keep Process in Control
- Review and respond to department quality data on a daily, weekly, and quarterly basis.
- Update and review control charts, control limits, and process control cookbooks.
- Audit and update PCP’s, SOP’s and Purchase Specifications, as well as Audit Plans and Reports.
- Process control is a key source of process information and process expertise for process and part troubleshooting. Immediate customer and quality excursions are a high priority.
- Reduce Variability (Continuous Improvement)
- Improve measurements and capability for raw materials, input variables, process yields, and response variable using SPC and NEI methods. Focus on key departments metrics such as scrap, rework, and process yield.
- Improve the use and integration of SPC tools and techniques to improve process predictability.
- Conduct gauge repeatability and reproducibility studies to correct gauge error greater than 30%.
- May supervise other engineers or technicians on assigned projects.
- Identify and address safety considerations within the scope of their job responsibilities.
- Responsible for annual cost savings projects totaling 3x the employee’s salary.
- Responsible for data of raw materials (Alloy Service Center Responsibility)
- Data Collection/Evaluation into Alloy Blending System (ABS)
- Conduct review of customer specifications before input into system.
- Input of raw materials.
- Track type and lot of raw materials adhering to chemistry, revert, and cost targets.
- Performs data analysis as needed.
- Responsibility for cost savings projects through SIX Sigma.
- Participate in the RCA process.