Manufacturing Supervisor - 1st Shift
Precision Castparts Corp. (PCC) is a leading worldwide, diversified manufacturer of complex metal components and products. It serves the aerospace, power, and general industrial markets. PCC is the market leader in manufacturing large, complex structural investment castings, airfoil castings, and forged components used in jet aircraft engines and industrial gas turbines. The Company is also a leading producer of highly engineered, critical fasteners for aerospace and other general industrial markets, manufactures extruded seamless pipe, fittings, forgings, and clad products for power generation and oil & gas applications, and supplies metal alloys and other materials to the casting and forging industries. PCC is a high quality business with dominant positions in most segments of the markets in which it serves.
Headquartered in Portland, Oregon, this over 10 billion dollar company employs more than 29,500 people worldwide. PCC has over 160 plants and has a presence in twenty-six states in the US and in over a dozen countries. PCC is relentless in its dedication to being a high-quality, low-cost and on-time producer; delivering the highest value to its customers and shareholders while continually pursuing strategic, profitable growth.
Effective early February 2016, Berkshire Hathaway, led by chairman and CEO Warren E. Buffet, acquired Precision Castparts Corp.
- Work safely under functional safety guidelines such as personal protective equipment (PPE) and equipment interaction
- Conduct daily standup meetings to team relaying previous day business performance, daily goals & objectives, safety topics and other general business information
- Ensure consistent quality standards and operational procedures throughout manufacturing process
- Foster an environment of positive employee relations with open communication channels and employee involvement
- Proactively cooperate between departments and share resources when needed to meet plant goals and objectives
- Actively identify and eliminate any potential bottlenecks, including personnel and equipment
- Effectively plan manpower and overtime to ensure deliveries are met
- Maintain thorough knowledge of all processes and equipment
- Utilize Lean Manufacturing tools and effectively develop a continuous improvement culture that focuses on waste reduction in all manufacturing processes
- Facilitate cross training of employees for maximum equipment utilization, employee productivity and overall business flexibility
- Ensure compliance with all manufacturing, quality and safety procedures
- Submit near misses and accident reports within expected timeframes from occurrence
- Submit necessary reports to respective departments for nonconforming parts
- Perform root-cause analyses and implement corrective actions for process defects
- Generate, update, and analyze critical-to-business metrics such as earned standard hours (ESH), productivity, machine utilization graphs, recovery plans, headcount manpower models, etc.
- Attend shift hand-over meetings for other supervisors and staff
- Promote multi-manning concept to increase equipment utilization
- Conduct daily GEMBA walks with Team Leads
- Promote good housekeeping practices
- Perform weekly safety inspections and participate in safety training
- Comply with corporate guidelines and legal requirements on business ethics
- Performs other related duties as required
- Ability to work permanently in the United States is required.
- Associates degree in science, technology, engineering, math, or other technical field is required, or equivalent level of course/credit hours completed is required.
- Bachelors degree in technical field is preferred.
- 1+ year experience in a manufacturing, industrial, or similar environment is required.
- Machine shop experience is preferred.
- Experience AS9100 or ISO9001 manufacturing environment is preferred.
- Previous supervisor experience is preferred.
- Ability to read and write English.
- Strong leadership, communication, and presentation skills
- Hands-on, take charge attitude
- Excellent written and verbal communication
- Effective teambuilding skills and ability to build effective working relationships
- In-depth knowledge and experience of lean manufacturing methodologies and performance metrics
- Ability to develop accountabilities and measurements for direct reports
- Ability to handle multiple priorities simultaneously
- Ability to make independent judgments and utilize analytical and problem-solving skills
- Ability to work independently and as a team with a strong customer orientation
- Self-motivated with strong organizational skills
- Ability to handle high stress associated with regular activity of tight deadlines
- Ability to meet physical requirements for a machine operator
- Proficient in MS Office suite, including Word, Excel, and PowerPoint, and other computer programs