Precision Castparts Corp. (PCC) is a leading worldwide, diversified manufacturer of complex metal components and products. It serves the aerospace, power, and general industrial markets. PCC is the market leader in manufacturing large, complex structural investment castings, airfoil castings, and forged components used in jet aircraft engines and industrial gas turbines. The Company is also a leading producer of highly engineered, critical fasteners for aerospace and other general industrial markets, manufactures extruded seamless pipe, fittings, forgings, and clad products for power generation and oil & gas applications, and supplies metal alloys and other materials to the casting and forging industries. PCC is a high quality business with dominant positions in most segments of the markets in which it serves.
Headquartered in Portland, Oregon, this over 10 billion dollar company employs more than 29,500 people worldwide. PCC has over 160 plants and has a presence in twenty-six states in the US and in over a dozen countries. PCC is relentless in its dedication to being a high-quality, low-cost and on-time producer; delivering the highest value to its customers and shareholders while continually pursuing strategic, profitable growth.
Effective early February 2016, Berkshire Hathaway, led by chairman and CEO Warren E. Buffet, acquired Precision Castparts Corp.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. In performing functions, duties or tasks, employees are required to know and follow safe work practices, and to be aware of Company policies and procedures related to job safety, including safety rules and regulations. All functions, duties or tasks are to be carried out in an honest, ethical and professional manner, and to be performed in conformance with applicable Company policies and procedures. In the event of uncertainty or lack of knowledge of Company policies and procedures, employees are required to request clarification or explanations from superiors or authorized company representatives.
- Manage 20+ reports, 3 direct, across three shifts and five departments.
- Manage saw, forge, heat treat, grinding, and shipping department budgets and pipeline projects.
- Provides employee coaching and development. Resolves employee issues through problem resolution.
- Responsible for adherence to process control procedures, operating instructions, and all quality control instructions, and completes corrective actions in a timely manner.
- Ensures participation and adherence to Safety and Quality improvement initiatives, such as 6S, Zero Defects, etc.
- Plans, organizes and supervises operations in accordance with production schedules and requirements in the most cost-effective manner.
- Develops plans for efficient use of materials, machines, and employees.
- Maintains awareness of policies and procedures and assures compliance by assigned employees.
- Manages performance measures in areas of responsibility.
- Ensures throughput and target earned hours are attained and budget criteria is met or exceeded.
- Review variable costs, productivity, earned standard hours and throughput daily and implements effective corrective actions when targets are not achieved
- Works with employees to effectively resolve workplace issues, gives necessary feedback on employee performance and behavior.
- Conducts formal performance appraisals and recommends/approves pay increases, transfers, promotions, corrective counseling and terminations in accordance with Company policies and procedures and local, state and federal laws.
- Interviews and recommends for hire of new employees.
- Is aware of and manages hiring process with consideration for affirmative action goals and EEO requirements.
- Develops, trains, and involves employees in maintaining and improving departmental safety, efficiency, productivity, quality, cooperation and morale.
- Maintains adequate staffing to meet required production schedules.
- Effectively cooperate with other departments to attain departmental, company and corporate goals.
- Continuously stay informed of technological advancements and process improvements which may impact operations. Propose recommendations for improvement.
- Provides leadership to employees and ensures they have the proper tools to perform their job safely and efficiently
- Responsible to drive safety, quality, dispatch adherence and productivity requirements in the most cost-effective manner.
- Ensure that all machines are functioning properly for production and call maintenance if the equipment requires repair.
- Ensure that the products are made according to procedure and specifications.
- Engages the team in identifying and implementing continuous improvement projects in the areas of safety, quality, cost, and customer satisfaction.
- Responsible for the safe manufacture of products, safety in the areas of responsibility, and maintaining a safe, injury free work environment.
- Ensures compliance with legal requirements and company safety policies.
- Ensures that all employees work in a safe manner and that each employee is properly trained in all safety procedures. Ensures that good housekeeping practices are consistently followed.
- Performs other related duties as assigned or requested.
- Bachelor’s degree, engineering preferred.
- 5+ years of related experience in a Production Supervisor role, preferably in a forging environment.
- Previous supervisory experience in manufacturing environment showing progressive advancement with increasing levels of responsibility.
- Must demonstrate knowledge of sound business practices.
- Solid, overall business acumen and a strong mindset for continuous improvement.
- Attention to detail and an attitude of 100% compliance with all company and regulatory requirements.
- Ability to work flexible hours.
- Forklift experience / certification
Bilingual (Spanish) is preferred
The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required.
- Excellent critical thinking and the ability to apply extensive planning, attention to detail, read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating instructions, procedure manuals and use of good judgement. And must be able to perform and follow work procedures.
- Must have demonstrated ability to manage multiple tasks and priorities and easily adapt to changing situations and priorities.
- Requires that the incumbent be highly organized, self-motivated individual who can work independently as well as work effectively in a collaborative team environment.
- Must have demonstrated abilities to lead people and get results through others, with excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Must be computer literate, particularly in spreadsheet; financial; inventory and production planning and tracking applications.
- Demonstrated ability to develop, execute and deliver results in conformance with action plans.
- Interpersonal skills
- Project management
- Results driven
- Proficient with MS Office (Excel, Word, Outlook)