Machine Shop Manager
With more than 150 operations and about 22,000 employees worldwide, Precision Castparts Corp. is the market leader in manufacturing large, complex structural investment castings, airfoil castings, forged components, aerostructures and highly engineered, critical fasteners for aerospace applications. In addition, we are the leading producer of airfoil castings for the industrial gas turbine market. We also manufacture extruded seamless pipe, fittings, forgings, and clad products for power generation and oil & gas applications; commercial and military airframe aerostructures; and metal alloys and other materials for the casting and forging industries. With such critical applications, we insist on quality and dependability – not just in the materials and products we make, but in the people we recruit.
Headquartered in Portland, Oregon, this over 10 billion dollar company employs more than 29,500 people worldwide. PCC has over 160 plants and has a presence in twenty-six states in the US and in over a dozen countries. PCC is relentless in its dedication to being a high-quality, low-cost and on-time producer; delivering the highest value to its customers and shareholders while continually pursuing strategic, profitable growth.
Effective early February 2016, Berkshire Hathaway, led by chairman and CEO Warren E. Buffett, acquired Precision Castparts Corp.
PCC Structurals, Inc. is a division of Precision Castparts, and also Headquartered in Portland, Oregon. PCC Structurals Division operates 12 facilities in the United States including Oregon, Nevada, California, Utah, Connecticut, New Hampshire, Florida as well as a facility in France. We are committed to providing customers with industry-leading products and high-quality service.
CHI Company Profile:
Composites Horizons (CHI) is under the PCC Structurals division of Precision Castparts. CHI is a leading innovator and producer of polymeric and ceramic matrix composite parts for the aircraft engine and other diverse industries. Established in 1974, CHI began as a spin-off from Aerojet, with the commitment to become a leader in advanced material products. Since that time, CHI has become a key supplier of aircraft jet engine components and critical medical tables and parts. CHI collaborates in both design and build-to-print projects working with most major prime contractors and has a reputation for high-quality, on-time delivery of complex structures in the industries it serves.
- Ensures the organization accomplishes Safety, Quality, Schedule and Cost performance objectives. When misses occur, develops a credible recovery plan with team.
- Reviewing daily customer demand, job set-up, preparation of job travelers & production schedules, management of production schedules and flow of work through shop.
- Manage Key Performance Indicators on Business analysis and Reporting on daily performance.
- Champion and initiate Continuous Improvement projects to increase efficiency and vendor cost.
- Identify new opportunities to impact business and operations goals positively. Manages these projects to rapid completion.
- Direct and coordinate manufacturing activities based on policies, objectives and programs spanning manufacturing functions.
- Determine performance and product quality and direct accountability for that performance.
- Coordinate with Supply Chain for procurement planning with suppliers and for maintaining contact with suppliers to assist them in meeting quality standards and delivery schedules by providing interpretation of specifications and processes required for company acceptance.
- Coordinate with Engineering and Quality Control to determine cause of rejected product and to resolve discrepancies in manufacture process.
- Brief and communicate with customers, suppliers and corporate executives with high intensity and professionalism.
- Run a safe, injury/accident free workplace
- Work closely with the inventory manager and team to perform analysis of our inventory and ensure we are utilizing our inventory effectively, purchasing the right equipment, maintaining solid inventory data.
- Strong interpersonal and leadership skills to motivate and lead production employees.
- Hands on management style, able to interact with all other department heads in Engineering, Production Planning, Purchasing, Sales.
- Able to read blueprints and technical drawings.
- Work well independently and within a team and has the ability to coordinate efforts with fellow co-workers.
- Bachelor’s degree in business or an engineering discipline is highly desirable
- Minimum 3 – 5 years’ experience managing a Machine Shop
- More than 3 years of progressive manufacturing leadership experience and responsibility.
- Aerospace and/or Automotive experience preferred.
- Experience leading people and obtaining results through others, with excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Proven track record of driving results in an Assembly and Machining (3, 4, and 5 axis) environment.
- Extensive experience with CNC equipment (preferably 5 Axis), tooling, and fixturing.
- Proven analytical, problem solving, and process improvement ability
- Working knowledge of general aerospace quality requirements
- Ability to understand and apply the production planning processes.
- Ability to apply lean manufacturing methodology, TOC, and problem-solving skills to drive the business improvements in a metric-driven environment
- Demonstrated ability to develop a strategic plan to meet key business objectives/metrics in the areas of Safety, Quality, Delivery, Inventory, and Cost.
- Demonstrated ability to manage multiple tasks and priorities and easily adapt to changing situations and priorities.
- Must be computer literate, particularly in spreadsheet; financial; inventory and production planning and tracking applications.
- Demonstrated ability to develop, execute and deliver results in conformance with action plans.
- Proven ability to lead large organization in a fast-paced short cycle manufacturing environment.
- Highly organized, self-motivated individual who can work independently as well as work effectively in a collaborative team environment.
- Comprehensive knowledge of and ability to apply budgeting processes and financial management tools
- Working knowledge of Six Sigma and Statistical Process Control
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- Strong interpersonal and leadership skills
- Demonstrated ability to lead programs / projects
- Ability to document, plan, market, and execute programs
- Established project management skills
- Proven leadership in Fasteners, Aerospace, or Automotive type Industry
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or status as a protected veteran.