Sr. Manufacturing Engineer
Precision Castparts Corp. (PCC) is a leading worldwide, diversified manufacturer of complex metal components and products. It serves the aerospace, power, and general industrial markets. PCC is the market leader in manufacturing large, complex structural investment castings, airfoil castings, and forged components used in jet aircraft engines and industrial gas turbines. The Company is also a leading producer of highly engineered, critical fasteners for aerospace and other general industrial markets, manufactures extruded seamless pipe, fittings, forgings, and clad products for power generation and oil & gas applications, and supplies metal alloys and other materials to the casting and forging industries. PCC is a high quality business with dominant positions in most segments of the markets in which it serves.
Headquartered in Portland, Oregon, this over 10 billion dollar company employs more than 29,500 people worldwide. PCC has over 160 plants and has a presence in twenty-six states in the US and in over a dozen countries. PCC is relentless in its dedication to being a high-quality, low-cost and on-time producer; delivering the highest value to its customers and shareholders while continually pursuing strategic, profitable growth.
Effective early February 2016, Berkshire Hathaway, led by chairman and CEO Warren E. Buffet, acquired Precision Castparts Corp.
The general purpose of the Senior Manufacturing Engineer is to be a technical leader within manufacturing operations focused on the understanding, analysis and improvement of complex industrial, manufacturing and infrastructure systems. The Senior Manufacturing Engineer will ensure that product manufacturing is executed in the shortest time, lowest cost and to maximum quality. She/He will create systems and subsystems to establish the best achievable manufacturing process within a set of given constraints. The Senior Manufacturing Engineer will monitor the manufacturing process and process equipment seeking and acting on opportunities for improvement in productivity, quality and cost. She/He will design processes, process equipment and tools to produce conforming product while requiring the least amount of direct and indirect labor.
- Comply with PCC Code of Conduct.
- Comply with all Federal, State and Local regulations; OSHA; AS9100 requirements; AS1300X and all Company policies and procedures.
- Communicate unsafe conditions, observations and accidents in a timely manner.
- Ensure a safe, productive and rewarding working environment for all employees.
- Proactively identify and eliminate hazards.
- Maintain housekeeping standards to PCC 6S requirements.
- Evaluate processes to identify improvement opportunities.
- Minimize downtime by systematic elimination of common and special causes.
- Facilitate project prioritization based on contribution to business performance (S, Q, D, C).
- Provide technical expertise; collaborate with others to resolve business performance issues.
- Contribute to team performance by accomplishing action items as needed and/or directed.
- Work collaboratively with quality, operations, finance and plant maintenance to improve business performance.
- Share technical knowledge with team members and train/develop others.
- Lead and participate in continuous improvement activities.
- Design, develop and implement new solutions to problems with process, tooling and equipment.
- Develop and maintain process work instructions.
- Create and maintain 3D models of product, process equipment and facility – Digital Twin
- Develop equipment set-up procedures, maintenance plans and lockout procedures.
- Develop and maintain process control measures, plans, instructions and audits.
- Clearly communicate project status with regularity.
- Meet or beat aggressive project timelines.
- Create shop fabrication drawings.
- Maintain technical knowledge by attending educational workshops, reviewing technical publications, establishing personal networks.
- Prepare reports as required.
- Perform other related duties as assigned.
- Bachelor of Science in an Engineering discipline preferred.
- A proven commitment to safety by being an active participant in our safety process.
- Team oriented and self-motivated.
- Strong analytical, problem solving and organization skills.
- Effective communication skills; able to clearly convey technical concepts verbally and in writing to a broad audience.
- Ability to work with ambiguity and complex multi-variate problems.
- Willingness to roll-up one’s sleeves to get the job done safely, legally, ethically and morally.
- 10+ years of professional experience working in manufacturing organizations preferred.
- History of positive metric-based contributions to manufacturing organizations.
- Proficiency with software tools including but not limited to CAD, MES/MOM, ERP (e.g., Catia, SolidWorks, AutoCAD, Delmia Apriso/Enovia/Ortems, Syteline), MS Office, Minitab, etc.
- Experience with highly automated complex process equipment including but not limited to I4.0 (IIoT), robotics, PLC, SCADA/HMI, autonomous conveyance, ASRS and vision inspection systems.
- Experience with one or more of the following is preferred:
- Machining, automation, forging, chemical processes, coating, heat treatment, tool and die repair
- Lean manufacturing, Six Sigma/DMAIC, Design for Six Sigma
- High volume production, aerospace manufacturing and quality management systems
- Technical knowledge to support troubleshooting mechanical equipment, electrical systems, hydraulic and pneumatic systems.
- Attention to detail with ability to complete work assignments accurately and efficiently.
- Demonstrated drive, determination and self-discipline to achieve business results.
- Able to work independently, within a team and with minimal direction/supervision.
- Sense of urgency and comfortable working in a fast-paced environment with a variety of simultaneous projects.
- Sufficient physical attributes to be able to perform the rigors of potentially working in hot and cold locations, standing or sitting for extended periods of time, lifting ≤ 35lbs., working within a limited physical space as needed and the ability to work at heights as needed.
- Able to work 40+ hours per week, including weekends as required.
Full Relocation is authorized for this position.