With more than 120 operations and approximately 20,000 employees worldwide, Precision Castparts Corp. is the market leader in manufacturing large, complex structural investment castings, airfoil castings, forged components, aerostructures and highly engineered, critical fasteners for aerospace applications. In addition, we are the leading producer of airfoil castings for the industrial gas turbine market. We also manufacture extruded seamless pipe, fittings, and forgings for power generation and oil & gas applications; commercial and military airframe aerostructures; and metal alloys and other materials for the casting and forging industries. With such critical applications, we insist on quality and dependability – not just in the materials and products we make, but in the people we recruit.
PCC is relentless in its dedication to being a high-quality, low-cost and on-time producer; delivering the highest value to its customers while continually pursuing strategic, profitable growth.
In 2016, Berkshire Hathaway, led by Chairman and CEO Warren E. Buffett, acquired Precision Castparts Corp.
Primary Duties & Responsibilities:
- Be assigned to perform varying degrees of Quality Engineering activities and lead projects pertinent to Internal and Customer Quality Assurance under general guidance of Quality Assurance Management.
- Responsible for the development of techniques and procedures for inspecting and testing company products, and for conducting research on product defects in order to enhance product and/or quality standards based on this research and analysis. Establish collection and analysis systems of statistical data to predict trends that will affect improvement of product quality.
- Drive continuous defect reduction by collecting and analyzing quality-related data (yield, rework, and scrap) and facilitating problem-solving activities to process improvement.
- Conduct internal/supplier audits to ensure customer requirements, regulatory agencies, government regulations, and engineering specifications are properly met.
- Perform purchase order and contract reviews to ensure complete flow-down of requirements throughout various facets of the organization.
- Ensure continual compliance and improvement to the Quality Management System procedures and processes including procedure generation and implementation.
- Provides instruction and guidance on all Dimensional and non-destructive inspection systems.
- Monitor supplier performance and establish criteria and rating system for critical vendors.
- Host client and regulatory audits, manage responses/resolution, and audit follow-up
- Perform Material Review Board (MRB) duties representing Quality Engineering
- Collaborate with Manufacturing, Operations and Engineering to improve manufacturing process and develop methods to eliminate quality problems.
- Requires consistent exercise of discretion and independent judgment to perform assignments of a professional nature requiring application of quality engineering and related techniques.
- Manage budget, costs and expenditures within the Quality function and applicable functional support requirements. Lead and drive Productivity initiatives.
- Foster a “Safety 24/7” culture; driving safety initiatives to ensure zero safety related incidents annually.
- Supervisory responsibility including performance management, discipinary actions, and recruitment
- Other duties as assigned
Required Skills and Experience:
- 10-15 years manufacturing experience (e.g. Metal extrusion, CNC, manual lathe, CNC Mill, heat treat, deburr, EB welding, etc.)
- 5+ years of supervisory experience
- Experience working in military or aerospace quality systems.
- Ability to understand and interpret engineering technical data, such as manufacturing or part drawings, to provide guidance to cross-functional teams.
- Significant experience working directly with customers and suppliers.
- Must have excellent written and verbal communication skills, as well as, strong problem solving, organizational, project management and decision-making skills.
- Understand internal and external customer requirements with a high attention to detail in resolving findings
- Knowledge of aerospace quality standards including AS9100, AS9102, & ISO9001.
- Knowledge of metrology
- Project Management experience
- Six Sigma, and/or ASQ Certification.
- Metallurgist experience
- S. degree in Engineering, Manufacturing, Mechanical, Metallurgical Engineering, or related field from an Accredited Institution required.
- S. degree in technical field preferred
- Lean/Six Sigma Black Belt Certification
- Ability to read, analyze, and interpret common scientific and technical journals, financial reports, and legal documents. Ability to respond to common inquiries or complaints from customers, regulatory agencies, or members of the business community. Ability to write speeches and articles for publication that conform to prescribed style and format.
- Ability to process and effectively communicate information using MS PowerPoint, Excel, and Word.
- The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit and talk or hear. The employee must regularly lift and /or move up to 10 pounds, frequently lift and/or move up to 35 pounds. The employee is occasionally required to stand and walk. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.
- The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee can be occasionally exposed to moving mechanical parts when walking through the facility. The noise level in the shop environment is usually moderate.
Relocation is authorized for this position.