Electrical Controls Engineer - Deer Creek (Portland, OR)
With more than 120 operations and approximately 20,000 employees worldwide, Precision Castparts Corp. is the market leader in manufacturing large, complex structural investment castings, airfoil castings, forged components, aerostructures and highly engineered, critical fasteners for aerospace applications. In addition, we are the leading producer of airfoil castings for the industrial gas turbine market. We also manufacture extruded seamless pipe, fittings, and forgings for power generation and oil & gas applications; commercial and military airframe aerostructures; and metal alloys and other materials for the casting and forging industries. With such critical applications, we insist on quality and dependability – not just in the materials and products we make, but in the people we recruit.
PCC is relentless in its dedication to being a high-quality, low-cost and on-time producer; delivering the highest value to its customers while continually pursuing strategic, profitable growth.
In 2016, Berkshire Hathaway, led by Chairman and CEO Warren E. Buffett, acquired Precision Castparts Corp.
This position commonly reports to the Facilities Manager and may perform one or more of the following engineering functions: Process Engineering, Manufacturing Engineering, or Controls Engineering.
Incumbent provides expert judgment and analysis for the design, development and implementation of products, processes, plans and procedures. Designs methods to improve efficiency in production, reduce process variability and assure compliance with approved methods and quality standards exercising discretion and independent judgment in the evaluation of possible courses of conduct and acting or making decisions after the various possibilities have been considered.
Based on their independent judgment and within the scope of their engineering expertise, incumbent is vested with the authority to stop the manufacturing process
Effective decisions will typically result in successful part programs and considerable financial benefit to the company.
May supervise other engineers and/or technicians on an ongoing basis or as needed for the term of assigned projects.
Essential Job Functions:
- Responsible for the specification, and design of equipment for the manufacturing
- At least 2 years experience in Controls Engineer experience
- Manager procurement of equipment for production needs.
- Direct installation of equipment and processes in the manufacturing environment.
- Responsible for budgets and keeping projects on budget.
- Provide after-installation equipment support and improvement.
- Oversee general construction projects.
- Familiarity with CAD.
- Interface smoothly with other departments to develop joint plans for resolving parts problems.
- Work directly with multiple teams to successfully achieve varied goals, using math and statistical information to prove and model plans.
- Work closely with and favorably represent PCC with customers and suppliers.
- Developing and adhering to, with any troubleshooting necessary, project timetables.
- Logical and analytic approach to problem solving.
- Strong understanding of PLC ladder logic, programming methods, and process related control systems. (Allen Bradley Micro Logix, RS Logix 500 and Control Logix Platforms)
- Ability to design/enhance HMI applications.
- Ability to examine complex electrical problems, identify source of problems, determine method for repair; plan and organize work; complete complex electrical tasks by using and understanding Electrical, Mechanical, Hydraulic and Pneumatic drawings and schematics.
- Knowledge of automation (PLC) and electrical system design, diagnosis and operation.
- Knowledge of furnaces, pressure vessels, and other related foundry equipment
EDUCATION AND QUALIFICATIONS:
- Requires a BS degree in engineering with 3-5 years relevant experience, or a MS degree in engineering with 3-4 years relevant experience OR equivalent experience.
- Broad knowledge of mechanical, industrial, materials science engineering along with investment casting technology.
- Knowledge and demonstrated ability in engineering principles and disciplines; employed manufacturing processes; statistical analysis (data correlation); technical report and article preparation; preparing specifications; ability to define, plan, and complete major projects; ability to supervise/direct activities of professionals with diverse expertise.