Investing Technician - SSBO (Portland, OR)
With more than 120 operations and approximately 20,000 employees worldwide, Precision Castparts Corp. is the market leader in manufacturing large, complex structural investment castings, airfoil castings, forged components, aerostructures and highly engineered, critical fasteners for aerospace applications. In addition, we are the leading producer of airfoil castings for the industrial gas turbine market. We also manufacture extruded seamless pipe, fittings, and forgings for power generation and oil & gas applications; commercial and military airframe aerostructures; and metal alloys and other materials for the casting and forging industries. With such critical applications, we insist on quality and dependability – not just in the materials and products we make, but in the people we recruit.
PCC is relentless in its dedication to being a high-quality, low-cost and on-time producer; delivering the highest value to its customers while continually pursuing strategic, profitable growth.
In 2016, Berkshire Hathaway, led by Chairman and CEO Warren E. Buffett, acquired Precision Castparts Corp.
This position assists investing/solid mold/autoclave operations in controlling processes to levels that meet expectations related to quality, cost, control and consistency. Creates and maintains databases and reporting of performance. Identifies root cause of variability for reduction or elimination. Incumbent will perform projects with the goal of achieving cost reductions and process and part improvements.
- Create, maintain, evaluate and improve process control systems and procedures.
- Troubleshoot activities with variation and out of control parameters. Implement control methods, cookbooks for remedying out of specification/control situations.
- Utilize NEI Six Sigma tools as the basis for project management.
- Set up projects, collect and input data, perform statistical analysis as the measure for significance.
- Interface with Engineering and Manufacturing to determine root cause for process and part issues.
- Identify opportunities for process improvements resulting in cost reduction, quality improvement, and increased efficiency.
- Initiate and implement corrective actions to reduce scrap and rework.
- Perform audits of operations to validate adherence to procedures and work instructions.
- Follow Process Change Request procedure. Track trials, perform statistically sound analysis of results, implement change based on trial results.
- Perform day-to-day monitoring and reporting of department specific KCC (key control characteristics) and KPO (key process outputs).
- Provide input and analysis for procedural changes to include work instructions, manuals, etc.
- Train shop personnel on use of statistical tools and measurements.
- Recommend technology/equipment improvements.
- Generate, submit and complete CARs.
- Perform and maintain robot programming. Optimize existing robot programs to eliminate historic shelling issues. Use statistical evidence to validate improvement.
- Perform analysis on all incoming investment stuccos and those in production for adherence to operation parameters.
- Take conductivity tests on all binder and water used for slurry make-ups.
- Assess environmental conditions pertaining to air flow, humidity, and temperature levels.
- Manage investing laboratory. Maintain equipment/environment within specified operating parameters.
- Release raw material to operations for use.
- 2-4 years prior relevant experience
- Considerable knowledge of and familiarity with scientific principles and laboratory techniques, and specialized, in-depth knowledge in major field; basic knowledge of related fields.
- Effective written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to apply and adapt a wide variety of technical procedures under general directions and to complete work independently.
- Experience developing new techniques in major field.
- Ability to plan, schedule, evaluate and coordinate a variety of major projects.
- Knowledge of NDTE, quality, and material testing equipment and processes (preferred).
- May be required to complete hazardous waste management training.
- Working knowledge of Excel, Word, Power Point, Solid Works, and Mini Tab (preferred)
Precision Castparts Corp. is an equal opportunity employer committed to recruit, hire, train, and promote in all job categories without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, veteran status or other status protected by applicable law.
This requisition is closed to applications.