Metallurgy Co-Op - Spring 2023
With more than 120 operations and approximately 20,000 employees worldwide, Precision Castparts Corp. is the market leader in manufacturing large, complex structural investment castings, airfoil castings, forged components, aerostructures and highly engineered, critical fasteners for aerospace applications. In addition, we are the leading producer of airfoil castings for the industrial gas turbine market. We also manufacture extruded seamless pipe, fittings, and forgings for power generation and oil & gas applications; commercial and military airframe aerostructures; and metal alloys and other materials for the casting and forging industries. With such critical applications, we insist on quality and dependability – not just in the materials and products we make, but in the people we recruit.
PCC is relentless in its dedication to being a high-quality, low-cost and on-time producer; delivering the highest value to its customers while continually pursuing strategic, profitable growth.
In 2016, Berkshire Hathaway, led by Chairman and CEO Warren E. Buffett, acquired Precision Castparts Corp.
Wyman Gordon – Houston, TX
Wyman Gordon is the premier forging company for the global aerospace and energy markets. Providing a specialized service, Wyman-Gordon manufactures forged components from high grade titanium and nickel-based alloys. Such components are used for jet engines, including fan disks, compressor disks, turbine disks, and shafts. We also produce titanium and steel forgings for airframes, including wing beams, wing boxes, door and window frames, as well as nacelle and landing gear components. Wyman-Gordon also extrudes steel products for use in power plants and oil and gas industry applications. Our reputation, market position, and operational efficiency are reliant upon our demonstrated ability to continually improve. As part of the Forged Product segment the Energy Group is also the world’s largest and most diversified producer of high-performance nickel-based alloys and a market leader in nickel superalloy and titanium revert management, developing more than 85% of the alloys in the market.
WG is dedicated to developing and promoting employees from within, starting from the Co-op ranks. The company has an opening on the Product Metallurgy Team. They will learn and support daily tasks and assigned projects, developing an understanding material testing requirement, standards, and expected results across a range of alloys for critical rotating parts in aircraft engines and land-based gas turbines.
This program is designed to provide opportunities for our Co-ops to demonstrate the same high level of ethics, values, creativity, and performance we expect from our employees. Roles will focus in a single area, with several projects and ownership of activities for the individual to learn, develop an action plan and execute on the work. These projects will have a measurable impact on WG business and will be coached and mentored by WG leaders which would prepare Co-ops for a potential opportunity to be considered for a full-time position upon graduation.
- Running routine and customer specific Statistical Process Control; plot and monitor material test results to verify any variation in processes are within control limits.
- Setup, tracking and reporting of part cutup testing. This includes basic CAD work in developing cutup sketches for review and approval and documenting all data in cutup reports.
- Developing stat packages in support of cutup and/or test ring frequency reductions.
- Support Zero Defects initiatives. Working with Metallurgy, Quality, and IT to verify requirements for grain size rating are clearly defined and setup in in the Wyman Material Test Requirements in Oracle.
- Investigative analysis for continuous improvement. When a process is found to have variation, significant process reviews and data analysis is required to understand root cause and develop corrective actions. Co-op will be expected to learn an understand the thermal-mechanical processing of Wyman products and assist in the analysis. This will include brief rotations with Operations to gain a fundamental understanding of how our products are manufactured and potential sources of variation
- Must be actively enrolled or pursuing a bachelors or master’s degree in an accredited institution
- Must be able to work at least 5 months on a full or part time basis.
- Desired start date of January 2023
- Must be a U.S. citizen or Green Card holder
- Prior internship or co-op/internship experience preferred
- Excellent written, oral communication and presentation skills
- Demonstrated leadership experience within campus and/or the community
- Experience with Excel and other MS tools required