Supervisor, Manufacturing - Cherry
With more than 120 operations and approximately 20,000 employees worldwide, Precision Castparts Corp. is the market leader in manufacturing large, complex structural investment castings, airfoil castings, forged components, aerostructures and highly engineered, critical fasteners for aerospace applications. In addition, we are the leading producer of airfoil castings for the industrial gas turbine market. We also manufacture extruded seamless pipe, fittings, and forgings for power generation and oil & gas applications; commercial and military airframe aerostructures; and metal alloys and other materials for the casting and forging industries. With such critical applications, we insist on quality and dependability – not just in the materials and products we make, but in the people we recruit.
PCC is relentless in its dedication to being a high-quality, low-cost and on-time producer; delivering the highest value to its customers while continually pursuing strategic, profitable growth.
In 2016, Berkshire Hathaway, led by Chairman and CEO Warren E. Buffett, acquired Precision Castparts Corp.
Responsible for the direct supervision of focus-factory/process production employees, maximizing safety, quality, variable cost, individual and plant-wide productivity, and technical skill development to insure on-time shipments and customer satisfaction. This position reports directly to the Director of Operations and serves as their back-up.
1. Works with support departments to ensure that all production methods and practices are consistent with internal quality standards, customer requirements, and the AS9100 program.
2. Assists Planners/Schedulers when needed to properly schedule manufacturing operations within their focus-factory/process.
3. Analyzes, establishes, and communicates performance standards for their focus-factory/process.
4. Control the flow of product, materials and labor utilization in their focus-factory/process to maximize productivity and minimize cost while achieving safety, quality, inventory and throughput targets.
5. Review and plan for daily, weekly, and quarterly labor, equipment, tooling and supply requirements to achieve manufacturing throughput while meeting and exceeding productivity targets.
6. Insures alignment among department employees on department goals and objectives by leading daily employee team meetings and soliciting employee feedback needed to remove performance obstacles and improve the work environment.
7. Leads the team in developing and implementing effective systems for improving internal and external quality, cost improvements and on-time delivery to the customer requirements.
8. Documents all department functions and reviews/maintains the daily Time and Attendance recordkeeping system for their focus-factory/process.
9. Ensures that scrap collection in their focus-factory/process is being properly controlled and disposed.
10. Effectively collaborates with engineering and quality to achieve scrap, cost and safety requirements; maintaining and proactively managing process improvement pipeline for areas of responsibility.
11. Provide effective leadership and act in a manner that maintains a positive and productive work environment with customers, clients and co-workers.
12. Analyze variable labor costs daily and determine required staffing levels and support labor re-allocation across manufacturing as required.
13. Carry out supervisory responsibilities including interviewing, hiring, and training employees; planning, assigning and directing work; evaluating and appraising individual performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints and resolving problems in a timely manner.
14. Coordinates the My Idea program for their assigned focus-factory/process.
15. Plans and supports cross training to ensure the elimination of all skill gaps, resulting in a more skilled and adaptable workforce. Ensures the completion of required competency forms and certifications, as well as maintains an employee skill matrix.
16. Administers policies and procedures as required.
17. Supports a zero injury culture by pro-actively complying with all environmental safe practices and regulations. Reads all SDS’ and possesses thorough knowledge of all oil and chemical labeling and storage requirements.
18. Conducts EH&S self-inspection and safety huddles in areas of responsibility.
19. Performs other related duties as assigned or requested.
Minimum Education – Bachelor’s or Engineering degree highly preferred or Equivalent relevant experience
Minimum Experience – 5+ years.
• High energy level and able to work flexible hours
• Able to motivate and develop teams to meet performance requirements
• Blueprint reading
• Strong organizational skills
• Effective verbal and written communication
• Intermediate to Advanced use of MS Word, Excel, Access, Outlook and QAD.
• Inspection Equipment (Micrometer, Comparator, Dial Caliper)
• Able to meet competing deadlines
• Strong mindset for continuous improvement
• Attention to detail
• Performance management