With more than 120 operations and approximately 20,000 employees worldwide, Precision Castparts Corp. is the market leader in manufacturing large, complex structural investment castings, airfoil castings, forged components, aerostructures and highly engineered, critical fasteners for aerospace applications. In addition, we are the leading producer of airfoil castings for the industrial gas turbine market. We also manufacture extruded seamless pipe, fittings, and forgings for power generation and oil & gas applications; commercial and military airframe aerostructures; and metal alloys and other materials for the casting and forging industries. With such critical applications, we insist on quality and dependability – not just in the materials and products we make, but in the people we recruit.
PCC is relentless in its dedication to being a high-quality, low-cost and on-time producer; delivering the highest value to its customers while continually pursuing strategic, profitable growth.
In 2016, Berkshire Hathaway, led by Chairman and CEO Warren E. Buffett, acquired Precision Castparts Corp.
The Facilities Engineer is responsible for providing engineering support to maintenance, operations, environmental and safety, ensuring the safe and efficient operation of plant equipment. This position designs, coordinates, and obtains proper parts and materials to support maintenance operations and assists maintenance in a technical support role. Additionally, this role will lead facility and maintenance projects. As such, project management skills will frequently be needed to complete assigned tasks. This position will participate in the Corporate Facilities Technical Development Program.
Key Performance Indicators:
- Safety incident elimination
- Equipment downtime
- Equipment output increase
- Energy cost reduction
- Maintenance cost efficiency
Primary Duties & Responsibilities:
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, ability and/or competency needed for successful performance in the role. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Comply with and support PCC Code of Conduct Requirements and Company policies and procedures, as well as Federal, State and Local regulations.
- Comply with and support AS9100, SOX requirements and all PCC Cardinal Rules, including EHS and Quality.
- Plan and execute CAPEX projects from proposal to completion, including budgeting, ROI calculation, timeline, resource coordination, etc.
- Develop, implement, and upgrade the Preventive Maintenance Program along with a Critical Spares List.
- Develop, implement, and upgrade the Maintenance Repair Procedures.
- Develop, implement, and upgrade the Predictive Maintenance Program including Vibration Analysis, Oil Analysis, and Infrared Thermography. Provide monthly reports on activities.
- Support routine and preventive maintenance programs associated with pollution control equipment to comply with federal, state and local environmental regulations.
- As needed, generate maintenance and project cost figures and provide monthly cost avoidance reports.
- Develop and maintain a list of “target” equipment with excessive maintenance costs. Determine the root cause and develop a plan to abate the problem. Monitor and report progress monthly.
- Manages the reliability engineering process to provide failure-based equipment maintenance plans (EMP’s), to analyze predictive and preventive maintenance inspection data and recommend corrective actions, and to analyze equipment reliability data to improve EMP’s.
- Train maintenance personnel in special maintenance procedures.
- Lead improvement projects from start to completion.
- Effectively manage projects, to include personnel and contract resources.
- Develop cost reduction Pipeline projects.
- Conduct daily plant walkthroughs, identifying maintenance issues, coordinating with operations leadership and maintenance on needed repairs and tasks.
- Prepare daily and weekly status reports for management review of current improvement projects and maintenance concerns.
- Conduct audits of energy control diagrams and Lock Out Tag Out (LOTO) procedures for equipment.
- Provide technical assistance for maintenance and shop employees on engineering issues.
- Provide machinery breakdown, troubleshooting and response assistance.
- Other duties as assigned
- Knowledge of basic hydraulics and electrical.
- Computer knowledge: Intermediate to advanced use of CAD (AutoCAD, Solid works, etc.), MS Word, MS Project, MS Excel.
- Knowledge of maintenance procedures and machinery function.
- Ability to effectively organize and coordinate maintenance projects.
- Ability to read and interpret Blueprints and schematics.
- Ability to analytically and rationally make decisions.
- Effective oral and written communication skills.
- Effective organizational and problem-solving skills.
- Fundamental mechanical aptitude and ability to troubleshoot equipment problems.
- Attention to detail.
- Ability to manage competing priorities.
- Ability to effectively document maintenance procedures and work instructions.
- Ability to work independently and in a team environment.
- Continuous improvement mindset.
- Bias for action.
- Ability to support a 24 / 7 operation.
Experience & Education
- BS in Mechanical Engineering required from an accredited university.
- 1+ years of related experience in a manufacturing environment.
- Programmable Logic Controller (PLC) programming experience.
- Mechanical hydraulics knowledge.
- Experience with a CMMS System.
- Experience with implementation of LEAN Manufacturing tools and techniques.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
While performing the duties of this Job, the employee is regularly required to use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms and talk or hear. The employee is frequently required to stand; walk and sit. The employee occasionally lifts and/or moves up to 35 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus.