Forge Press Apprentice(Copy)
With more than 120 operations and approximately 20,000 employees worldwide, Precision Castparts Corp. is the market leader in manufacturing large, complex structural investment castings, airfoil castings, forged components, aerostructures and highly engineered, critical fasteners for aerospace applications. In addition, we are the leading producer of airfoil castings for the industrial gas turbine market. We also manufacture extruded seamless pipe, fittings, and forgings for power generation and oil & gas applications; commercial and military airframe aerostructures; and metal alloys and other materials for the casting and forging industries. With such critical applications, we insist on quality and dependability – not just in the materials and products we make, but in the people we recruit.
PCC is relentless in its dedication to being a high-quality, low-cost and on-time producer; delivering the highest value to its customers while continually pursuing strategic, profitable growth.
In 2016, Berkshire Hathaway, led by Chairman and CEO Warren E. Buffett, acquired Precision Castparts Corp.
JOB TITLE: PRESS Apprentice
- Sets up and operates all shop presses. To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Press Apprentices will be taught the following in there 2 year apprenticeship:
- Sets up and operates a press using closed forging dies.
- Understands the operation of all presses, related equipment and equipment functions.
- Understands press safety.
- Can operate and setup induction furnaces.
- Understands and can operate gas and electric slot and rotary furnaces.
- Follows all applicable ISO procedures.
- Meets production standards.
- Keeps dies in alignment and makes adjustments to the machine as required for correct operation.
- Monitors the quality of forgings for worn or broken characteristics, improper trimming, or other conditions which would result in imperfect forgings.
- Makes sure equipment and work area are clean at the end of each shift.
- Performs daily activities in the safest possible manner and reports safety problems, both existing and potential, to supervisor.
- Notifies immediate supervisor of any malfunctions in tooling, equipment or problems with the production crew.
- Controls the operation of the forging furnace, operates electric and/or other heating equipment.
- Makes all necessary re-strikes.
- Proper use of calipers.
- Familiar with basic metal flow and die design principles.
- Understands special characteristics of different metals.
- Has basic knowledge of press preventative maintenance techniques.
- Can operate all presses.
- Able to check match visually.
- Able to edge bars.
- Knows ISO procedures.
- Knows how to control scale.
- Able to complete paperwork properly.
- Proper use of tongs.
- Maintains good attendance record.
- To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE:
- High school diploma or general education degree (GED). Must be able to perform essential duties with minimal supervision..
- Ability to read, comprehend and interpret documents such as operating and maintenance instructions, safety rules and procedure manuals.
- The physical demands described here are representative of these that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand and use hands and fingers to handle or feel. The employee frequently is required to reach with hands and arms. The employee is occasionally required to walk. Must be able to regularly lift up to 30lbs.
- The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job.
- While performing the duties of the job, the employee is regularly exposed to vibration. The employee is frequently exposed to moving mechanical parts. The employee is occasionally exposed to fumes or airborne particles. The noise level in the work environment is usually very loud.
***We are an Equal Opportunity Employer***
***Qualified Woman and Minorities are encouraged to apply***