Manufacturing Safety Specialist
With more than 120 operations and approximately 20,000 employees worldwide, Precision Castparts Corp. is the market leader in manufacturing large, complex structural investment castings, airfoil castings, forged components, aerostructures and highly engineered, critical fasteners for aerospace applications. In addition, we are the leading producer of airfoil castings for the industrial gas turbine market. We also manufacture extruded seamless pipe, fittings, and forgings for power generation and oil & gas applications; commercial and military airframe aerostructures; and metal alloys and other materials for the casting and forging industries. With such critical applications, we insist on quality and dependability – not just in the materials and products we make, but in the people we recruit.
PCC is relentless in its dedication to being a high-quality, low-cost and on-time producer; delivering the highest value to its customers while continually pursuing strategic, profitable growth.
In 2016, Berkshire Hathaway, led by Chairman and CEO Warren E. Buffett, acquired Precision Castparts Corp.
Wyman-Gordon, located in Worcester, MA, provides Isothermal Forgings for military and commercial turbine applications using nickel based and titanium alloys. Full Heat Treating, Machining and Testing on site. This growing, $200 million profit center is part of a highly successful, multi-billion $ (NYSE) diversified manufacturer. Precision Castparts Corporation (PCP).
SAFETY AND ENVIRONMENTAL SPECIALIST
The Safety Specialist is responsible for the overall management and supervision of the company’s programs and procedures to protect its employees from occupational safety, environmental and health hazards. The goal of this position is to minimize the risks posed by these hazards to its employees and to the company by developing and implementing appropriate hazard control systems and programs. This role is responsible for the Company’s 6s program.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Establishing systems to identify, evaluate and control occupational safety and health hazards
- Developing policies, programs and projects to abate hazards
- Identifying hazard priorities and tracking the plant’s progress in addressing these priorities.
- Establishing oversight and working relationships with the supervisors, operations managers and plant manager regarding the control of occupational safety and health hazards
- Inspect site facilities competently for safety & environmental compliance.
- Maintains written hazardous material program in accordance with 29 CFR 1910.1200.
- Maintaining state of the art knowledge regarding the recognition, evaluation and control of occupational safety and health hazards through ongoing training and research
- Maintaining an expert level awareness of current OSHA and other applicable safety and health regulations
- Managing and supervising the use of contracted, outside safety and industrial hygiene consultants to ensure that they provide quality service at costs consistent with the company’s requirements
- Chairing the Safety Committee in order to help coordinate resources and track the abatement of plant safety and health hazards
- Assists with the preparation of requisite local, state, and federal environmental reports. Assist with applications for permits for air and water pollution control.
- Ensure that procedures for proper disposal or recycling of all materials in the waste stream are in place. Establish and manage a proactive waste minimization plan.
- Provide technical evaluation and support to evaluate alternative substances in the manufacturing process with reduces or no levels of toxicity.
- Advise management on EPA, DEP and OSHA regulatory development.
- Responsible for overall management of the Company’s 6s program
EDUCATION AND QUALIFICATIONS:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Environmental Health and Safety, Safety, engineering, chemistry, biology or a related science. Master’s Degree in Industrial Hygiene preferred
- 3-5 years’ experience in the field of Safety and Industrial Hygiene in a manufacturing environment.
- Certified Industrial Hygienist and/or Certified Safety Professional designation preferred or in process.
SPECIAL SKILLS AND PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS:
- Superior communication, persuasion and motivation skills.
- Team building skills.
- Planning and managerial skills.
- Solid understanding of safety, industrial hygiene and engineering principals and the ability to apply to the company’s operation.
- Ability to look at the plant’s current position regarding occupational safety and health and compliance issues, to identify strengths and weaknesses and to select and promote an appropriate course of action to resolve outstanding issues in order to protect employees and to foster the company’s success.
- The ability to perform in a matrix organization.
US Citizenship or Perm Residency is required due to government military contracts.
Wyman Gordon is committed to hiring, promoting and transferring employees without regard to race, religion, color, national origin (where a person was born), sex, age, ancestry (ethnic heritage), citizenship, veteran status, marital status, sexual orientation, disability, or any other reason prohibited by law. Decisions as to hiring, promoting or transferring employees should be based solely upon job-related qualifications.
Precision Castparts Corp. is an equal opportunity employer committed to recruit, hire, train, and promote in all job categories without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, veteran status or other status protected by applicable law.