Quality Control Manager
With more than 120 operations and approximately 20,000 employees worldwide, Precision Castparts Corp. is the market leader in manufacturing large, complex structural investment castings, airfoil castings, forged components, aerostructures and highly engineered, critical fasteners for aerospace applications. In addition, we are the leading producer of airfoil castings for the industrial gas turbine market. We also manufacture extruded seamless pipe, fittings, and forgings for power generation and oil & gas applications; commercial and military airframe aerostructures; and metal alloys and other materials for the casting and forging industries. With such critical applications, we insist on quality and dependability – not just in the materials and products we make, but in the people we recruit.
PCC is relentless in its dedication to being a high-quality, low-cost and on-time producer; delivering the highest value to its customers while continually pursuing strategic, profitable growth.
In 2016, Berkshire Hathaway, led by Chairman and CEO Warren E. Buffett, acquired Precision Castparts Corp.
Plans and directs assigned projects concerned with unique and diverse problems which have an important effect on major programs or products within the company. This involves exploration of subject area, definition of scope, and selection of problems for investigation and development of innovative concepts and approaches. Maintains liaison with individuals and units within or outside the organization and has responsibility for acting independently on technical matters pertaining to the defined scope of the project.
To provide plant support and / or consultation on process and quality related problems.
This position reports to the Site General Manager.
- Confers with Division Quality Manager, customers, and other representatives in planning, scheduling, coordinating and directing the Quality Control Program in conformance with PCC Quality Policy, customer requirements, engineering specifications, and production schedules.
- Analyzes and interprets quality data, conducts research on product defects and recommends modifications in processes, products or quality standards where such appear to be warranted.
- Provide technical guidance and works in close liaison with Sales and Engineering Departments on all group projects, and with Purchasing in connection with the purchasing of raw materials, supplies, equipment, and services.
- Performs/directs Quality related experiments / statistical studies and problem solving tasks related to Quality matters.
- Confers with Division Quality Manager in the execution of Division Quality Plans.
- Develops weekly status reports and quarterly progress reports to track progress and assure integration is according to plan.
- Writes and updates procedures in Quality Control Manual (QCM) as needed.
- Interface with outside entities (customer and government) regarding quality performance and customer relations activities.
- Deals with PCC responses to customer and government quality system requirements and general specifications.
- Offer constructive suggestions for the manufacturing operations to implement to resolve their problems.
- Review customer and government specifications, compare specification requirements with the input of other cognizant personnel, against the plant capabilities and identifies areas of difficulty and / or added cost to be submitted through Sales and customer for resolution.
- Assure proper understanding and intended interpretation of customer, government and PCC’s internal specifications and good practices. Directly interfaces with customer representatives and government agencies in:
- Directly interfaces with functional departments of PCC in all plants related to customer, government and PCC’s specification interpretation.
- Bachelor of Science degree in an engineering or scientific discipline, or equivalent experience required.
- A minimum of five years experience in aerospace Quality systems and Quality management, preferably in the investment casting industry.
- Excellent communicator (verbal and written) and capable of interacting with different levels of the organization. Must have a high level of objectivity and integrity; objective minded to evaluate people and problems.
- Demonstrated skills in NDT, Dimensioning, Physical Testing, and Statistical Quality Control required.
- Demonstrated skills in aerospace quality management systems and standards (e.g. AS9100, ISO 9001) required.
- Thorough understanding of aerospace and government specifications, systems, and procedures.
- Progressive experience including project management responsibility. Has demonstrated the ability to lead projects involving the direction of other engineers and technicians.