With more than 120 operations and approximately 20,000 employees worldwide, Precision Castparts Corp. is the market leader in manufacturing large, complex structural investment castings, airfoil castings, forged components, aerostructures and highly engineered, critical fasteners for aerospace applications. In addition, we are the leading producer of airfoil castings for the industrial gas turbine market. We also manufacture extruded seamless pipe, fittings, and forgings for power generation and oil & gas applications; commercial and military airframe aerostructures; and metal alloys and other materials for the casting and forging industries. With such critical applications, we insist on quality and dependability – not just in the materials and products we make, but in the people we recruit.
PCC is relentless in its dedication to being a high-quality, low-cost and on-time producer; delivering the highest value to its customers while continually pursuing strategic, profitable growth.
In 2016, Berkshire Hathaway, led by Chairman and CEO Warren E. Buffett, acquired Precision Castparts Corp.
The Quality Manager will be responsible for the overall planning, management, and coordination of the quality control activities to ensure that the company delivers products that meet all internal and customer requirements as outlined within the AS 9100 and other company requirements. This position is crucial to the success of the organization and requires the ability to effectively interact with all levels of customers, suppliers, and employees while fostering an environment that sustains profitability. Responsible for developing, implementing, and maintaining the Company’s Quality Management System in compliance with customer and company requirements.
- Provide leadership of quality and continuous improvement programs, including Six Sigma, SPC and customer programs.
- Develop and analyze statistical data and product specifications to determine standards and to establish quality and reliability expectancy of finished products.
- Review and track all customer quality concerns, SDR’s, and customer returns to determine appropriate corrective actions. Advise management of all related issues and recommend appropriate improvements.
- Supervise workers engaged in inspection and testing activities to ensure high productivity and high technical integrity.
- Create, document and implement inspection criteria and procedures and maintain all Quality Assurance records.
- Manage internal and supplier audits as required by customers and the Company’s Quality Management System.
- Drive cost improvement and productivity initiatives throughout the quality assurance and inspection functions.
- Work with engineering and operations to identify root cause for all internal and external non-conformances.
- Actively manage inspection/quality practices to eliminate scrap, escapes and minimize customer returns.
- Formulate, document, and maintain quality control standards and on-going quality control objectives.
- Provide and oversee inspection activity for product throughout production cycle.
- Interpret quality control philosophy to key personnel within Company.
- Create and direct environmental test functions and applications.
- Maintain active role on internal continuous improvement teams.
- Design, develop, and implement quality control training programs.
- Interact with vendors to ensure quality of all purchased parts.
- Ensure a high level of internal and external customer service.
- Ensure effective implementation of corrective actions.
- Demonstrated ability to develop, relentlessly execute and deliver results in conformance with action plans.
- Demonstrated ability to manage multiple tasks and priorities and easily adapt to changing situations and priorities.
- Pragmatic and results oriented with a continuous improvement mindset.
- Highly organized, self-motivated individual who can work effectively in a collaborative team environment.
- Strategic vision for new and future technology to support manufacturing and operational excellence.
- Ability to communicate with all levels of management, employees, suppliers and customers.
- Must be able to work on multiple tasks, have good decision-making skills, and be detailed oriented.
Experience & Education
- Bachelor’s degree in Industrial, Mechanical, Material Sc. or related Engineering field. MS or MBA degree is desirable.
- Prefer 7+ years of experience in a quality role in a manufacturing environment.
- Continuous Improvement, Lean Manufacturing, and Six Sigma Certification.
- Knowledge of blueprints and airfoil specifications, Laue, and ultrasonic wall inspection.