Division Manufacturing Engineer, Advanced Manufacturing Estimates
Precision Castparts Corp. (PCC) is a leading worldwide, diversified manufacturer of complex metal components and products. It serves the aerospace, power, and general industrial markets. PCC is the market leader in manufacturing large, complex structural investment castings, airfoil castings, and forged components used in jet aircraft engines and industrial gas turbines. The Company is also a leading producer of highly engineered, critical fasteners for aerospace and other general industrial markets, manufactures extruded seamless pipe, fittings, forgings, and clad products for power generation and oil & gas applications, and supplies metal alloys and other materials to the casting and forging industries. PCC is a high quality business with dominant positions in most segments of the markets in which it serves.
Headquartered in Portland, Oregon, this over 10 billion dollar company employs more than 29,500 people worldwide. PCC has over 160 plants and has a presence in twenty-six states in the US and in over a dozen countries. PCC is relentless in its dedication to being a high-quality, low-cost and on-time producer; delivering the highest value to its customers and shareholders while continually pursuing strategic, profitable growth.
Effective early February 2016, Berkshire Hathaway, led by chairman and CEO Warren E. Buffett, acquired Precision Castparts Corp.
As a key contributor on the Business Development Team, the Division Manufacturing Engineer is responsible for interpreting the requirements set forth in the customer request for quotation / purchase order and developing the production plan used by the division estimator to propose a cost-effective solution. The Division Manufacturing Engineer will contribute to division growth and profitability by optimizing the manufacturing plans for new and existing parts using current and new production equipment and techniques.
A critical aspect of this role is to assist in the development and integration of data, models, and algorithms to help PCC Aerostructures develop cost effective solutions and move toward an advanced manufacturing environment.
- Work with Division Estimators to create the best manufacturing solution for each part
- Work with plant and division personnel to develop and achieve consensus on optimized and fully planned work orders including materials, production and assembly sequencing, equipment selection, process parameters, inspection points, and other manufacturing aspects to ensure customer compliance and ease-of-manufacture
- Evaluate, confirm, and improve manufacturing processes by conducting research programs; applying knowledge of product design, fabrication, assembly, tooling, and materials; conferring with equipment vendors; soliciting observations and ideas from estimators
- Create structured BOM and manufacturing routers for the Estimating Team
- Analyze existing part families for cost reduction (make what/where/how)
- Participate in concurrent engineering / value engineering programs with key customers
- Assist Estimators in lost bid/should cost analysis
- Liaison for division CI Team
- Bachelor of Science Degree in Engineering or equivalent experience
- Minimum of 5 years of experience in an aerostructures or aerospace manufacturing environment
Position requires the desire and ability to work as a part of a transformational division team employing advanced manufacturing principles to help the production sites win new business and more profitably produce current work. The Division Manufacturing Engineer will need to work to understand market prices, technology, and best practices for manufacturing each product and seek creative ways to match or beat the market with the chosen approach.
- Strong ability to organize work, adapt to priority changes, and meet challenging deadlines
- Excellent communication skills
- In depth knowledge of metal machining and forming
- Maintain technical and professional knowledge through educational workshops, professional publications, personal networks, professional societies
Full Relocation is authorized for this position.